New Farmer; New to Chickens

Hello all, I am Dustin and I live in Inman, South Carolina. I am brand new to chickens. I just bought my first house. It has 2.5 acres with fenced in with small barn. I have to Pygmy Goats as well now along with my new chicks (6) starting. No coop yet still waying my options with this. Love to fish, hike, just huge outdoorsman. Have nice coral/saltwater tank. 3 dogs, 2 weimaraner's and 1 jack. Chicks are 3 Bantams and 3 White's. I work at Cummins as parts Guru. Have a beautiful wife that with my 1st unborn ready. Really wanting coop ideas and actual plans.

Hi Dustin and welcome to BYC

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Coop section =
coops.12
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Hey Dustin!!! Welcome to you and your wife, and your hatchling. Congrats on your new home! For a coop, I suggest a walk in style, minimum size 4 x 8, but bigger is better, cause you never know when you just have to get a few more birds. Take a look at the Wood's open air style coop. It's a great option for all climates.

Other things to consider: Deep litter management in coop and run. Much easier to do if you have a soil floor in the coop, but you have to plan accordingly to make sure the coop is predator proof.

If you have not already done so, do a bit of reading on the thread and articles written by @Blooie on the topic of Mother Heating Pad brooding.

Back
Top Bottom