New Feed = No Eggs ?

layinghen8

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
I recently switched my feed from Agway Layer Pellets to Blue seal organic Layer Pellets. The girls do not want to eat it. They eat the scratch, sunflower seed and grit but do not touch the food. Two days have gone and my 6/ day egg count has dropped to 1. I wanted to go organic but .... Has anyone experienced pickey eaters?

Do you still have any of the Agway pellets? Although it's a different situation, when I was switching from mash to pellets, it was recommended here to do it slowly, to mix in 1/4 more every 5 days - first a quarter, then half, then 3/4, then finally full. They didn't like the pellets at all initially, but now are completely used to them. They sure are creatures of habit!

I did the slow intro of the new feed and they did eat the all new for a few days after a week of mixing. Now they won't touch it. I was concerned that someting was wrong with the girls but they are eating the scratch.

They did just fine with the other pellets and I already have 4 mouths that like custom cooked meals, My cooking may be for the birds but, I'm not ready to start cooking for the birds.

Perhaps I'll mix it in with some reg Layer pellets and give up on the organic thing for now. Or try the only thing available on the buffet and see how long they hold out. I assume they will not starve themselves.

V Chic hit the nail on the head. Take away that scratch which they dont need anyway and only give them one choice. They definately will not starve themselves. Blue Seal is a very good food. The egg production will pick up, give it a chance.

I started with Agway, they liked it but Agway was 50 minutes away,

I bought Blue Seal they didn't like it much that was 45 mins. away

so I found a place 2 minutes away and I am using Agway again they like it and we are all happy.

I did mix it dso they didn't notice the change that much.

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom