New feeding station, what do you think?

RonP

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 4, 2014
New Jersey, "The Garden State"
2014 started off badly for me health wise, in and out of the hospital, sometimes for days straight.

Flock had enough supplies to last a week without maintenance, thought they would be fine, and they always were, except once, when I was confined for 9 days straight unexpectedly.

Had to have my daughter travel 2 hours just to feed my birds...

With all my down time, I came up with this idea for an extended indoor feeding station. I just built it this weekend.

Mind you, the flock spends their waking time, and eats, 90% outdoors, in an enclosed secure run.
I feed them fermented feed whenever possible...

I built this mostly for peace of mind, and as a backup.

Three stations, 3" PVC pipes with Y fitting. Concrete 16" paver block for nail and beak maintenance. It is sitting on 2 8" cinder blocks, I use deep litter.

Middle station is for feed. Picture shows the reserve, a 5 gallon reused water bottle with the funnel, a cutoff of another 5 gallon water bottle for extra reserve. It will easily hold 30+ pounds. It probably will last well over a month, if used exclusively. This reserve empties straight down into the middle feeder.

Above shows the 3 stations. Far left holds Grit, middle holds Feed, far right holds Crushed Oyster shells. Far left and right are capped. 2 foot pipe probably holds over a years supply of grit and oyster shell.

Another picture of the feed reserve, I'm pretty sure I put close to 40 pounds in there.
The reserve just sits in place, no nails or glue.
Everything can come apart easily if needed.

It's only been 2 days, but this seems to be working well
smile.png

Just thought I would share in case someone else needed ideas.

That is VERY cool! Nice use of those big ol' water bottles! So how much of a pain is it to fill? Do you have to take the bottle out to fill?

Very easy to fill.

The top bottle is actually a large funnel, open on top.

I just pour a scoop full of feed into it.

I stop when "funnel" is filled, as it is in the picture.

It couldn't be any easier.

Nice idea with the bottle.

I've got a similar setup, but had to add little 2" extensions to the part of the WYE the chickens stick their heads in for food...they were managing to flick a little out. May not be a problem with your birds, but keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom