New flock/Existing Flock

Chickenmama1614

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
Minnesota
I need advice from experience chicken owners. I currently have a coop that holds 14 chickens. I have 8 more incubating right now. How do you introduce new chickens to the flock? Do i need a separate coop until they are no longer pullet size? Im struggling to find a coop large enough for 8 hens without building it myself. How do you introduce new birds?

How big is your current coop? If you are using the manufacturers suggested numbers they are probably skewed.

If you have enough room introducing chicks at 4-10 weeks can go fairly easy. Too little room will make it impossible.

I think that something that separates them but allows them to see and "interact" (IE a chicken wire type barrier for a week and then put them together when the chicks are feathered enough to live in the coop and you should be fine. Basically give them their own protected space at first then you can remove it once they've adjusted. Extra feeders/waterers also help reduce bullying.

Not sure if im posting this in the correct place but I'm wondering when I can or should start letting the new chickens sleep in the coop with thre current chickens? Everyone sleeps in there now but the newbies are in a kennel. They've been doing this for a week or so now.

Not sure if im posting this in the correct place but I'm wondering when I can or should start letting the new chickens sleep in the coop with thre current chickens? Everyone sleeps in there now but the newbies are in a kennel. They've been doing this for a week or so now.
Have they been with the older chickens in the run? I would never just let them start sleeping on the roost. That's sure to cause fights. I brood mine in the run/coop but make sure the. Babies are safe in a see but no touch setup. Heres my 2 week olds outside in the run with the big girls. Once they hit 4 week I will replace 1 wall to have a small door that the small ones can fit through and run to cover but big ones cant. Mine sleep in the coop from day 1 but I let them start roosting when they feel comfortable. For a few weeks they sleep in the corner on the floor. Aroun9-10 weeks they start roosting on the lower roost while the big ones stay on the higher one.

Attachments

• 20210410_182513.jpg
    20210410_182513.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210409_094537.jpg
    20210409_094537.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 2
They had spent 2 weeks in their own enclosure inside the run so that everyone could get to know each other, now they have been out in the run for the past week and a half getting to know the routine.

They had spent 2 weeks in their own enclosure inside the run so that everyone could get to know each other, now they have been out in the run for the past week and a half getting to know the routine.
Do.they sleep.in the coop? I would just let them continue sleeping in there if they are and let them decide when to roost. Do you have more than 1 roost? I've realized my bigger girls wont puck on the chicka as long as they're not in their roost and in the lower ine instead.

They do sleep in the coop, but thre newbies are in the coop in a kennel... and I do have more than perch. Do you think it's ok to stay letting them just be in thre coop and remove the kennel... it's crowded in there with kennel inside lol

Back
Top Bottom