New flock/ intro

Back in the late 80’s- early 90’s I raised chickens and gathered eggs and went to all the trade days bringing home new breeds. My parents divorced in the mid/ late 90’s and my farm life ended. I went on to have children and a super busy life.
My daughter who will be 20 soon has shown great interest in homesteading/ farming so I (a trucker) bought her 6 pullets as a surprise when I was unloading at a tractor supply in Texas. I drove home (yes I had 6 chicks and 2 cats in my truck overnight) to Mississippi the next day and unfortunately one of the pullets died. So I gave my daughter 5 chicks and she talked me into going to tractor supply again to “replace” the one that didn’t survive. The tractor supply was sold out, but they did refund me for the one that didn’t survive.
We then drove to another tractor supply and she came home with 12 additional chicks! The next day she got 2 ducks and a goose, and the day after that 2 rabbits.
We had the chicks in a brooder but the flock grew substantially so then we moved them into a kiddie pool, and eventually I got her to clean out the shed out back and now they have their very own house.
She’s working towards building a run for them as their feathers grow in.
So a week in and that’s our journey thus far

I’m attaching photos, hopefully in order how I had them in a plastic container (that I had been keeping food supplies in. Such as oatmeal packets & grits) with a light in the truck, and how their habitats grew and changed over the past week. (First chicks purchased 3/23/23)

Oh, and our shed has termites. We’ve read that the chickens would be happy with that.

The little “cage” we had their brooder in we will use as a chicken tractor to keep them safe in the yard and let them explore different areas as we build their run and beyond.
Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.
Yes there’s plenty of projects coming up. I’m excited for it. I bought my kids this house 2 years ago and yesterday was the first time we actually cleaned out the shed which was full of the previous owners Christmas decorations.

If I’m not home the “kids” just hang out online.

I’m trying to show them they can accomplish so much more than sitting in the air conditioning on the computer.

My daughter has looked into homesteading with her fiancé. So here’s their chance to get their feet wet. I’m trying to talk her into making a raised garden.

I will be having surgery on Monday so I’ll be home from work for at least a month, possibly 2. Depending on how quickly my settlement comes in (been waiting a year, attorney says another week or two)

They have been responsible and going to check on their flock every few hours and I’m going out in the midnight hours 12-9am

Because they’re all babies the water needs to be changed frequently.

IMG_9334.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom