New flock introduction advice needed.

rajzwaibel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Here's the background:

A few months ago a neighbor's dog killed all but one of my chickens. So we got some more. From about 3 weeks of age to about 7 weeks I walled off part of the run and kept the new chicks in that area. The wall is nothing but chicken wire, so the older chicken could see the new ones grow and stuff. Last week I took down the wall, and let them intermingle. The older chicken doesn't attack them, but she chases them away from any treats until she's had her fill. I suspect this is normal.

My problem, is that the big chicken won't let them in the coop, and they won't attempt to follow her into the coop. So they still sleep in the run (I do have an area that has 3 walls and a roof they sleep in). But they are outgrowing that area.

How do I get them to go into the coop, and how do I get the big chicken to let them in the coop at night?

Last edited:
I agree. I had the same thing. I cut a second pop door into the coop because one of my hens in particular would block the door and not let the younger ones in. Also I put another waterer and feeder in the run. My hen "Blue" couldn't block everything.

webcam1170.jpg
webcam1176.jpg

Back
Top Bottom