New Flock Questions

Ellie's Herd

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2018
I got my chicken in August, and I'm still a newbie. In the Spring, I'm planning to buy three of four new chickens, and I had a few questions. The last time I got chicks, they were much older then the age I want my new flock to be when I first get them. The reason being that my old flock learned how to cockle doodle doo in the mornings and it is the most annoying thing ever. I'm trying a hatcher that separates the chicks from the roosters. Anyway, I've got I few questions that are important to me to get answered:

What breed do you suggest if I'm wanting a breed that is specifically a laying breed?

Do I need a lamp to keep them warm in the spring?

I use pine bedding for my current chicken. Is this okay?

How can I go to the place and make sure I'm not getting conned into buying roosters? I know I can send pictures here but I might not have enough time to get a reply.

I'm running out of chick feed. What brands//variations do you suggest. We have Purina (I think) medicated chick starter. Is this good?

My pullet was born in August. Is it still alright for her to eat chick starter?

Is their any way to help them produce very good eggs?

My pullet might be old enough to lay soon. What are some signs that it is about to happen?

:welcome

1) if you want just eggs look at white leghorns, red or black sex linked, or isa browns. These are high egg production hybrids except for leghorns,

2) chicks need heat. If you get adults that are climate acclimated no hear should be necessary.

3) pine bedding is fine.
4) If getting adults roos should be easy to see. Long tail, usually colored. If getting chicks sexlinked are sexable at hatch. If you go to store that' sells chicks just look for pullets or order pullets from a hatchery. They are usually 90 percent accurate on sexing. Should be 100 percent in sexlinked birds.

5) I feed chick starter. The 20 percent flock raiser (purina)

6) chick feed his fine but she's old enough to be on layer or adult chicken feed.

7) good protein feed. And free choice oyster shell.

8) watch her comb. As she matures and gets ready to lay her comb will go to a blood red from a pale pink.

I would stay away from feeding ANY kind of layer feed. It is semi toxic to non laying birds. Just provide 20% grower and your entire flock will be fine, even the layers. Just make sure you give a free choice side of oystershell and grit.
What is your climate like? That would help me suggest a breed.

I would stay away from feeding ANY kind of layer feed. It is semi toxic to non laying birds. Just provide 20% grower and your entire flock will be fine, even the layers. Just make sure you give a free choice side of oystershell and grit.
What is your climate like? That would help me suggest a breed.

I live in the Southern United states, so most of the time its sunny, slightly hot, rains moderately and winters have weather as low as 20 degrees at the least. Hardly ever snows.

I live in the Southern United states, so most of the time its sunny, slightly hot, rains moderately and winters have weather as low as 20 degrees at the least. Hardly ever snows.
For you then, I would suggest a Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, Australorp, Columbian Rock, Plymouth Rock, or other large-combed breed.

1) if you want just eggs look at white leghorns, red or black sex linked, or isa browns. These are high egg production hybrids except for leghorns,

2) chicks need heat. If you get adults that are climate acclimated no hear should be necessary.

3) pine bedding is fine.
4) If getting adults roos should be easy to see. Long tail, usually colored. If getting chicks sexlinked are sexable at hatch. If you go to store that' sells chicks just look for pullets or order pullets from a hatchery. They are usually 90 percent accurate on sexing. Should be 100 percent in sexlinked birds.

5) I feed chick starter. The 20 percent flock raiser (purina)

6) chick feed his fine but she's old enough to be on layer or adult chicken feed.

7) good protein feed. And free choice oyster shell.

8) watch her comb. As she matures and gets ready to lay her comb will go to a blood red from a pale pink.
:frow :welcome

Back
Top Bottom