New from Alabama

luvmygirlz

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hello all!! I have been checking the Web for any post about if hens grieve. My mom and myself started new to the chicken scene in February. We started small with four baby hens. As they got older 2 turned out to be roosters. We gave them away to a good home. That left Henrietta and Lucy. Until recently had no problems with the girls. Lucy started acting different. Wouldn't get on the roosting pole anymore. We decided yesterday to soak her in warm water thinking she had poo stuck, that's when we discovered she was way worse she had worms. Still not sure what kind. Leading up to yesterday she seemed fine eating, drinking etc. Just not roosting. She passed away last night. Henrietta was looking out the door most of the day yesterday while we was caring for lucy. This morning I found Henrietta passed away at the door. :( I was so attached to them. So I don't know if they grieve, but Henrietta was fine no worms or acted different other than looking for her siste.r

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, I am so sorry you lost both of these hens. I am sure if one of them had worms, so did the other. The only way to truly know what killed them is with a necropsy.

Are you going to get more birds? It must be very hard for you right now, but eventually you might want to start back up. If in the future you purchase older birds from an unknown source, always worm them as soon as you get them. All chickens have worms. But some are overloaded with them and if you don't know the conditions they lived in, it is best to get them wormed at the beginning.

Birds can grieve, at least I think so. However pining away takes longer than a few hours. Might take a couple weeks of one bird being lonely and not eating or drinking.

I am so sorry for your losses. I hope your heavy heart can heal soon.

Thank you for welcoming me, and for your kind words. I am sure we will get more hens probably next spring. We will definitely be getting adult hens from a friend. I got so close to the girls. I am going to be reading up on here to help me better understand about raising hens for the next ones we get. :)

Hello all!! I have been checking the Web for any post about if hens grieve. My mom and myself started new to the chicken scene in February. We started small with four baby hens. As they got older 2 turned out to be roosters. We gave them away to a good home. That left Henrietta and Lucy. Until recently had no problems with the girls. Lucy started acting different. Wouldn't get on the roosting pole anymore. We decided yesterday to soak her in warm water thinking she had poo stuck, that's when we discovered she was way worse she had worms. Still not sure what kind. Leading up to yesterday she seemed fine eating, drinking etc. Just not roosting. She passed away last night. Henrietta was looking out the door most of the day yesterday while we was caring for lucy. This morning I found Henrietta passed away at the door. :( I was so attached to them. So I don't know if they grieve, but Henrietta was fine no worms or acted different other than looking for her siste.r

Welcome to BYC. You will find lots of good help on this site. There is also some good information available in the educational section. I am originally from Enterprise though I have lived in Georgia for several years now. Iam sorry to hear about your bad luck with your chickens. I am sure it will improve. Chicken raising is fun.

Yes, I agree it is fun!! Thanks for letting me know about the educational section. I will definitely check into that!! Thanks for the tip :)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your hens!
hugs.gif

I hope you can get some more good hens!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom