New from Bama

Nurs4kids

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 26, 2011
God's Country
Good morning! I've been stalking the site and absorbing all the information for weeks now as we plan our first adventure into raising chickens. I want to start out by thanking the site owner and all the contributors. Not sure I would have undertaken this without all your information!

This week, we are beginning construction on our first coop. After much study and thought, we've chosen to attempt to replicate baldessariclan's WICHITA "CABIN COOP". We plan to keep four or five hens; nothing more.

We live in a residential area and while our ordinance does not "permit" keeping chickens, I have confirmed with my zoning department that people DO keep them here. They basically said that as long as the neighbors don't complain, they have no problem with it. Checked with both neighbors and they are good. We're on about 3/4 acres and plan to build the coop central and near the rear of the house, so don't expect much problem from anyone (won't be visible from the road).

About me/us:
We live in central Alabama. I am a pediatric nurse and my husband works in maintenance at the same hospital. I work 7on/7off, so have the perfect schedule! We have two awesome kids, a beautiful and brilliant 12 year old daughter and a happy and fun-loving 11 year old autistic son. We have one dog, a great dane, named Grace. Until today, we also had a yellow lab and a new kitten. We had debated for over a month about giving the lab away because she had nipped a kid on the back of the leg while the kid was running in the yard. Her natural instinct made the final decision for us last night when my daughter found her with the poor (dead) kitten in her mouth. We were lucky to have found a nice man who wanted her. He lives on the river with lots of acreage, so she has gone to live in the type environment I'd like to have.

My sister also began raising chickens a few months ago, which has only fueled my desire. She converted a precious potting shed into a coop. We have a friend who has many chickens and they are going to give us our first four.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Tracy

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Maine

Back
Top Bottom