New, from BC Canada

chickensuit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
BC, Canada
Finally set up an account. I've been learning from this website for quite a while but wanted to be able to ask questions and maybe answer any questions for people newer to chickens than me. I live on Vancouver Island and have had chickens for just over two months. Its funny but I really enjoy having chickens, I spend a lot of time learning about them.

All my chickens are layers. The first batch I bought about 10 weeks ago was 8 unsexed chicks: 1 australorp, 1 ameraucana, 1 white cochin, 1 dark brahma, 2 danish brown leghorns and 2 buff brahmas. The second batch I bought (about 7 weeks ago) was six sexed chicks: 2 barred rock, 2 columbian rock and 2 rhode island reds.

I'm 30 years old and right now its just my wife, my dog, myself and our chickens. We live in B.C. Canada. Luckily I have about the gentlest dog out there and he has no interest in harming the chickens so they can roam around without fear.

images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful tips on raising and keeping your new birds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You also might enjoy chatting with your chicken neighbors in the Canadian thread to share ideas, designs and just local talk.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah I read over suggested reading, welcome area, FAQs etc. I've been lurking for a while as a guest so already had a bit of an idea how everything operated. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site, thanks to everyone that contributes.

Welcome to BYC! You have a nice mix of birds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed as they are very hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom