New from Bryan, Texas

TxBeeMan

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Bryan, TX
My Coop
My Coop
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We have had chickens for ~15 years now. Almost all layers (Red Production, Red & Black sex-link, Barred Rocks, and Americana).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

15 hens, 1 rooster.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Getting the eggs (not having to buy them at the grocery store). Self-sufficiency.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Raising honey bees (more than a hobby, becoming a retirement level business). Like fishing & hunting too.
Wife likes gardening and playing with grandbabies

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a retired IT geek (worked for university at IT admin for close to 40 years). Used to raise & train Labrador Retrievers to go duck & goose hunting.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Recently built a pond and was looking for a source for Rouen ducks & Greater Canada Geese.

I should add - we used to let our chickens free-range, but got tired of loosing them to predators. They now spend the nights in an enclosed coop, but in the morning they have free run of a HUGE chain link fenced yard (open top). It's pretty rare to loose a chicken to a predator now (when we do - it's almost always either a LARGE red-tailed hawk or a bald eagle).

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We have had chickens for ~15 years now. Almost all layers (Red Production, Red & Black sex-link, Barred Rocks, and Americana).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

15 hens, 1 rooster.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Getting the eggs (not having to buy them at the grocery store). Self-sufficiency.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Raising honey bees (more than a hobby, becoming a retirement level business). Like fishing & hunting too.
Wife likes gardening and playing with grandbabies

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a retired IT geek (worked for university at IT admin for close to 40 years). Used to raise & train Labrador Retrievers to go duck & goose hunting.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Recently built a pond and was looking for a source for Rouen ducks & Greater Canada Geese.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom