New from Chicago suburbs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ydkjenn, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I just saw someone else post an introduction from Chicago so it seems like the area is getting ready for more chickens!

I'm tossing about the idea of chickens starting this spring. While I was growing up, I raised pheasants in the suburbs so I'm semi aware of care needed to take care of fowl.

I do have a couple questions that I can't seem to sort out browsing the threads. Mainly because there's SO much info, I don't know what I should follow.

I'm not concerned about coops or runs, as I have an idea in my head where and what I'll do for that. (except winterizing. I can't believe the chickens will produce enough of their own body heat in the winter!)
    My main question is, given the climate (into negative temps in winter and can reach 90's in summer) and that I have two young children who I would like to be able to interact with the chickens (they're 5 & 6), I don't know what kind of chickens would be best for our situation, especially starter chickens. If I should post this question elsewhere, please let me know.

Also, I was trying to work up a general annual cost of raising chickens and that seems to be all over the board as well.

I'm so glad I ran into this website and board! :)

Jenn

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] glad you could join us [​IMG]

Chickens are much easer then pheasant to take care of [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Easter eggers are great with kids and have a lot of color [​IMG]

Russian Orloff chickens are another and can stand the winters in Siberia and the heat of Death Valley Ca. this much I know lots of color long life easy going and sometimes to easy going [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jenn, welcome to BYC. Go to the Chicken Breeds forums and check out the wide variety that is available. EE or Ameraucanas with their muffs and colored eggs are a favorite of kids.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! X3 on check out the chicken Breeds section for member reviews on different breeds. The Henderson chicken breed chart also compares a lot of common breeds http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j For colder weather the breeds with smaller comb types like Wyandottes or the EEs with the colored eggs! sourland mentioned are popular. Some breeds with smaller single combs like Sussex or Delaware are also common. Cochins and Silkies are probably the two most popular breed choices for children's pets. You might want to try posting in your state thread for recommendations from people in your area of what breeds they have ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Silkies are great birds for kids - some even put up with being dressed or pushed in a baby carriage. As a breed they are also good broodies. That means they frequently want to hatch their eggs and will sit on them till then. I don't think they would like Chicago weather - I've lived in Chicago for the first 22 years of my life, and in Chicago suburb for the next 44, so I am well aware of bitter cold winter, blazing hot summers and HUMIDITY.

I don't think silkies would hold up well coming and going outside with more robust birds. My friend has two silkie house chickens and 2 seramas but, they aren't outside in a pen or coop.

Watch out for hawks - they do very, very well in the city and tend to hang around bird feeders where lunch is easy pickins.

9. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the welcomes and suggestions. I will check into some of the forums. There is SO much info here it's hard to know where to start.
    I think the silkies probably wouldn't be good for Chicago winters either.
    As I do more searching, I'm finding easter eggers, or Orlingtons (?) might be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by