New from Ferndale, WA

JennysHens

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Hi all! New member here from Ferndale, just added 3 black australorp hens (hopefully!) to my growing zoo and thought I'd join to share in the fun and get some great information. I've been lurking for a few days researching and decided to take the leap and do the forum gig again!

Some back story on me - I've had a lot of experience raising/owning parrots (worked in an exotic pet shop for 4 years primarily with parrots, but also reptiles, small mammals, etc), worked in a vet clinic for 2 years, and just all around love animals. I've literally owned parrots all my life, my first christmas present as a cockatiel and the bird addiction has only grown. I've always wanted to add chickens to the flock, but haven't been able to until we moved here! I'm originally from Florida and they weren't allowed where I live but two very good friends in high school kept small egg farms and I loved spoiling their girls and have always wanted to have my own sustainable produce/eggs/etc. Now that we live more out in the country in an area that's very big on sustainability, grow your own, etc I felt it was the time to finally jump in and get my own chickens!

So far, the zoo consists of a dog, two cats, three parrots, two snakes, a fish tank, and now three chicks. We also have a baby on the way - I'm 5 months pregnant! So life is a bit hectic, but man it's fantastic!

Can't wait to get to know all of you and learn some great tips and read some fun stories! I also posted in the Raising Chicks subforum about some questions/problems I'm having with the chicks being off their feed here if anyone is able to offer some advice. Thanks so much!

Jenny

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your new hens! Australorps are a very good breed that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Hi all! New member here from Ferndale, just added 3 black australorp hens (hopefully!) to my growing zoo and thought I'd join to share in the fun and get some great information. I've been lurking for a few days researching and decided to take the leap and do the forum gig again!

Some back story on me - I've had a lot of experience raising/owning parrots (worked in an exotic pet shop for 4 years primarily with parrots, but also reptiles, small mammals, etc), worked in a vet clinic for 2 years, and just all around love animals. I've literally owned parrots all my life, my first christmas present as a cockatiel and the bird addiction has only grown. I've always wanted to add chickens to the flock, but haven't been able to until we moved here! I'm originally from Florida and they weren't allowed where I live but two very good friends in high school kept small egg farms and I loved spoiling their girls and have always wanted to have my own sustainable produce/eggs/etc. Now that we live more out in the country in an area that's very big on sustainability, grow your own, etc I felt it was the time to finally jump in and get my own chickens!

So far, the zoo consists of a dog, two cats, three parrots, two snakes, a fish tank, and now three chicks. We also have a baby on the way - I'm 5 months pregnant! So life is a bit hectic, but man it's fantastic!

Can't wait to get to know all of you and learn some great tips and read some fun stories! I also posted in the Raising Chicks subforum about some questions/problems I'm having with the chicks being off their feed here if anyone is able to offer some advice. Thanks so much!

Jenny

Welcome to BYC. BA's are super sweet chickens. Best of luck on your new adventure.

Welcome to BYC, Jenny. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom