New From Granite Falls, Washington

NWChicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Granite Falls, WA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

A) I am so new to chickens! I have been lobbying my DH for several years and he finally relented! I'm so excited and a bit obsessed but from the looks of this forum, I'm not alone in that.
wink.png
I was talking to a new friend who also just entered the world of chickens who had just realized she had gone a little nuts. She offered to give me five of her 3 week old chicks so of course I took them! Kind of shocked my hubby. I don't think he was expecting to suddenly have a living room full of baby chicks but too late! Our kids are all in love with them too so there is no going back.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A) We have a total of 8 chicks. We got the 5 from my friend and then I happened to be at the co-op where they just happened
wink.png
to have gotten some in. I picked up three more little babies (one day old at the time) and put them in a separate box in my living room. We have the older ones in a large dog crate with welded wire over the door so our cats can't get in. The younger set is in a large plastic bin with a wire screened lid that my very good sport DH made up for me. The cats were funny when they walked in and saw baby birds in the living room. I swear I heard one of them say, "Oh look! A buffet!" lol They can't get to them though.

(3) What breeds do you have?

A) I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte and 1 Russian Ofloff

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

A) I'm a research junky and when I get obsessed with something or start a new venture I want to know everything I can about it. It was in my frantic googling that I ran across this site and have been lurking and reading since then. I decided I should probably go ahead and join since I'm a newby and have already learned so much here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

A) I love target shooting, mostly pistols but some rifle. I'm an avid knitter, I crochet, love to bake, decorate cakes (have done several wedding cakes), I'm pretending to garden (I refuse to give up! I will be a gardener!) I also do taekwondo and am slowly working my way toward a black belt. Apparently, I'm now adding "chicken whispering" to the list.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share

A) Married to an amazing man who doesn't just tolerate my hobbies but supports them. (He'll be building me a chicken coop this weekend!) I have four great kids that I get the pleasure of homeschooling. In addition to our chicks we also have two cats. I grew up in a suburban environment and now live in a more rural setting, though still a neighborhood. My kids tease me that I've been "countrified" by my husband. I think they're probably right but I'm ok with that.
smile.png

Thanks everyone! I'm excited! So much to learn but it's all so interesting and even though I've only had them about a week, I'm loving these little chicks! Very entertaining too!

Oh my! Imagine my utter shock to see some one else from my own backyard here in Podunk, Nowhere WA!
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome Aboard!

No, you are nowhere's close from being alone is the "obsession" department. Chickens will rapidly become an OCD to most folks.

I've got somewhere's around 100 birds from chicks to adults. Will be putting eggs in the 'bator this weekend too.

You say see my breeds on my website but I primarily focus on WBS Ameraucanas, Barnevelders, and Welsummers. Recently hatched some very special Buckeyes and I will be adding some Mahogany Russian Orloffs very soon. Hopefully this weekend when I go down to see my friend and breeder. As far as we know he is the only one to have an established MRO flock in the country.

Oh nuts, I just realized you are answering questions from BYC and not asking them. Oh well, I'll leave the above in case you're interested. Be happy to meetcha sometime neighbor. You're welcome to stop by any time. Shoot me a personal email & I'll send you my phone number. I'm wondering if maybe I don't know you from NW Poultry on the old MSN Groups?

Anyways, again, Welcome Aboard. And btw, have you heard about the Cascade Spring Poultry Show on the 20th?

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom