New from Greenille WI

birds4kids

Songster
May 15, 2015
Hello
No flock yet, in hopefully the late stages of research.
Got into gardening to teach the kids about where food comes from and well this seems to be a good progression of that lesson.
Some friends have a farmette and the kids LOVE going there. I don't have enough room for that but I do have room for few birds. With one of us being allergic to dogs and one of us allergic to cats I am sure the kids will love having a few pets to spoil.

I am still trying to get a handle on the local ordinance. What I found sofar was "in town" type rules which I am hoping don't apply to my zoned agricultural lot. Half a dozen chickens is certain to be a lot less distraction to the neighbors than the barking dog next door.

If anyone knows the local ordinance and can guide me I would appreciate it, and if anyone close has chicks let me know.

I have an email in to the town clerk about this but have heard they wanted a ban but failed so am not optimistic about cooperation.

You may find more information from others on your state thread, or they may lend support if you try to have the chicken laws changed. Wish you luck
fl.gif

I know they set some rules a year or so ago I just didn't pay attention at the time, now the rules are hard to find.
What I found and failed to print was 4 birds, 24sq coop, 40sq limit on run with 6foot ceiling. Which would seem overly restrictive for someplace zoned agricultural.

I don't want a big flock, just half a dozen birds of a couple varieties, fun and learning for the kids, with some bug and weed processing into food for us.

I posted in the Cheesheads thread but so far the closest person is a half hour away so no local guidance yet. I will certainly add the info I find to the thread when I hear back from the town.
Being zoned Ag. I am hoping I don't have to follow the in town rules.
Longer term I would love to be able to keep a rare breed rooster and have the kids get to see a hen raise chicks.
Looking at mypetchicken I would love a few Cream Legbar yeah they are pricey but everyone wastes money on hobbies and I like unusual things and those blue eggs sure are eye catching.

Being more realistic searching Craigslist someone just south of my has Black Copper Marans and someone just north has Olive Eggers. More reasonable way to get started and still satisfy my wish for something "different".

Last edited:
Heard back from the town. Guess I was worried for nothing.
I asked.
Quote: The reply was.
Quote:
I don't want to beg for more restrictions, I asked and got this reply so I guess the restrictions I was concerned about do not apply.

Next question is Menards or Fleet Farm for building supplies.
big_smile.png

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow
I feel ya on the barking dogs. They are far louder then chickens. But that's one of the excuses they try to use aginst backyard flocks. That and the "smell" what smell? If your coop is properly maintained, there's little to no smell. :/ I just don't understand why people are so closed minded. :barnie Sorry to go off on a rant here, it just gets me worked up. Good luck with your future flock.

Back
Top Bottom