New from Guelph, ON, Canada

mochamom

Hatching
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Hello everyone,

I've been stalking this site for a few weeks now, and it's fantastic. I live in a city that actually does allow backyard chicken. I've been doing lots of research about backyard chickens, and now that I have facts and information, I think I'll take the rest of the year to plan/build a coop, and then get chickens in the spring. I've even mentioned it to my neighbours (who made a face and asked lots of questions but seemed willing to be bribbed with fresh eggs)!

I am looking to have 3-4 hens, still debating on wether to start with chicks or pullets, but I have time to figure that all out! With all the pictures on here, I have a really good idea of how I want my coop to look like, but my only recommendation would be to include dimensions, as pictures aren't always obvious.

My question, for those of you in cold winter climates, is what have you done to your coops for your hens in the winter? And what breeds would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,

Amy
Human to Mocha and foster mom to Newton.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Pride, La.

Sorry I can't help with your question since I live in the south!!

welcome-byc.gif
I just moved back to the states from Kitchener. I never had chickens in Canada but heard Performance Poultry is a good place to get chickens. Just don't get any single combed breeds. I think wyandottes and EEs would be good.

My neighbor farmer (ex poultry farmer) once told me that a 150-200 sq ft. of overall roaming area is big enough inclusive of an enclosed coop of around 70-100 sq ft for 5 chickens. Just make sure they have a draft free enclosure to protect them from snow drifts and arctic air, I know how cold it gets in Ontario. I've spent a few winters in Winnipeg. I load up on straw and change it periodically to keep the floor relatively dry. I'd recommend to have a gentle slope on the floor of the enclosure as you may have to wash the floor of the enclosure if it gets too soiled throughout winter. I'd get one of those electrically heated waterer and a heat lamp. You could also pile snow on the walls of the enclosure as it is an excellent insulator.

As far as breeds, I'd recommend the following:

1) Chanteclers - I think they're native to Canada. Apparently they went extinct in 1979 but there are composite flocks maintained all across Canada. They're large, weighing upto 8 lbs. with an excellent combs.

2) Wyandottes - Native to NY. Hardy in winter and come in several colors.

3) Norwegian Jaerhons - Name says it all. They're extremely hardy but are small, around 5 lbs.

Hope this helps! Since I can't post any URLs in here, I'll post one on your PM.

JJ

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom