New from Indianapolis, IN

Indychick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Indianapolis
Hello -
I JUST received my 4 new hens from "Indiana Hens" and LOVE them. They are so Cute!
big_smile.png
(Thanks Indiana Hens!)

I got this nifty questionnaire off of the main page:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am brand spanking new to chickens, just got them a few hours ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I got 4 chickens for my small backyard (about 1/4 of an acre) in the City of Indianapolis, near Broadripple. Luckily I have a nice fence to keep things out. I hope nobody calls Animal Control on me...I did look up the municipal code and didn't find anything (hope I was looking in the right spot though...)

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 Buff Orpington, 1 Americauna, 1 Black Australorpe, 1 Barred Rock.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
During my initial research on chickens and seeing if I could do this (without going to court) this popped up in my google search. What a great wealth of info!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Love to cook, garden, make music, write, read, eat, play, bicycle...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Currently I am a stay at home mom with 1 son who is 3 years old and another grown up kid who I call my husband, and two dogs (and 4 chickens).

I LOVE eggs. This is my main reason for getting the chickens, but these are a birthday present for my son who will be 3 in a few weeks. We went to the Indiana State Fair last year and we couldn't tear him away from the chicken exhibits. We thought - wow we have always wanted to live in the country so we literally looked at houses with acreage and planned on having at least 5 acres to live out our dream. Unfortunately when the economy took a nosedive and other complications occurred, we decided to make the most of what we have and bring the country life to the city. People thought we were joking or crazy to do this, but it makes sense to us! I love getting back to basics - cooking from scratch, and raising my own vegetables and soon gathering my own eggs! This will be a fabulous adventure...I can't wait!

Welcome to BYC...I'm new , too & I LOVE
love.gif
this site! Good luck with your new chicks!

Love that questionaire - tells us everything we need to know! Welcome to BYC. You will find that you grow with it, and you will find friends here that you wouldn't believe possible.

Welcome to all the newbies!

I just can't stop looking at my new chickens. I just watch them, even though they really aren't doing anything but pecking around. The squirrels have been kings and queens of my backyard so they are all curious, getting close, chirping and wagging their tails. The gals don't seem to trust them - I don't either...I think they just want their spilled grain. My dogs have been accidentally introduced, luckily the chickens were in their pen. This will definitely be an interesting journey. I am trying to find some oystershell and food grade DE as I am not able to find any around here. I found a great organic layer feed from someone in Lebanon, IN. It has all this great stuff in it, but no oystershell. There is so much to learn...

Back
Top Bottom