New from Jacksonville NC

BronzeStar

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 22, 2012
Hello all

I have always been interested in raising chickens and becoming more self sufficent and only recently did I find out that I could have chickens in my city. Obviously this has raised some questions and concerns from the spouse that I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge on this forum can help me answer. I have three children who absolutly love the idea of having chickens especially my daughter. I do have two Siberian huskies so I would need to take that into consideration and it appears that a coop with an attached run would be the solution. I'm decent when it comes to building as long as it isn't too complex. I'm looking into getting 3-5 chickens with the main purpose being egg collection. I have looked around the forum and there is so much info that it is difficult to find what I am looking for. I guess the biggest concern my wife has is how complex it is raising and caring for chickens, on the outside it looks like it wouldn't be to complex at all but I'm sure I am over simplifying it. Any info that can be provided to a newbie like myself would be greatly appreciated as I try and navigate raising chickens and talking the wife into letting me do it.

Brian.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Chickens are fairly easy to raise. If they are given enough room, good food, clean water and lots of protection from preditors and you will be fine. Fresh eggs are worth the effort. Good luck!

Thanks I'm looking forward to it and so will my wife she just doesn't know its happening yet. I figure if I put together a set of plans for the coop and have a cost assesment done on getting started and maintenance she will be a little more open to the idea.

Any hints on getting the wife on board?

As it looks now I would get my chicks in either February or March and going off the guide they would be indoors for about 20 weeks or so which puts it out to June July time frame before they would get moved to the Coop which would give me more than enough time between now and when the chicks get here to solidify the plan for the coop and get all the necessary equipment and food. I would also have plenty of time to build it (even with my current schedule)

I have a few coop plans in mind just need to decide which one will work best.

Back
Top Bottom