New from Lexington, Kentucky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MamacitaGallina, Nov 7, 2010.

1. MamacitaGallina

MamacitaGallina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Always been a little fascinated by chickens....except for the smell. I've never raised them myself however.

As a hot mama hen, I have 4 homeschooled "chicks" in my brood already and one due to "hatch" mid-December. Just recently I've been thinking about how cool a math and science unit we can make out of incubating/hatching/and raising a few chickens. Been lurking for a few days and finally decided I need to join BYC to see if the community can help me design a chicken coop for our unfenced sloping small back yard. And various other things..... I was also hoping to see if I could hear from some Lexington locals about their urban chicken adventures.

~Lara

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Hello and [​IMG] And chickens really don't smell if you care for them properly [​IMG] So look forward to fresh eggs AND fresh air [​IMG]

3. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    [​IMG] and hope your chicken adventures are as entertaining as mine have always been! I know you'll find all the help you need in this wonderful community. Have fun! [​IMG]

4. MamacitaGallina

MamacitaGallina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I know that they can be well maintained so that they don't smell....just about everything can, can't it? But generally speaking from my experience.....they aren't well maintained.... Although we plan to!!! Thanks for the welcome :)

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG] from Lebanon Missouri.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. I am also from Ky but near Bowling Green. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have and I will help point ya in the right direction.

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    [​IMG]

Welcome aboard, from Clay City in Powell Co.

We started with chickens about this time last year. I really haven't noticed much smell, nothing like a small yard full of dog poo anyway! Plus if you are a gardener and compost you won't believe how chicken litter speeds things up. My pile cooked fast even in the dead of winter last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by