New from Lexington, Kentucky

MamacitaGallina

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Lexington, Kentucky
Always been a little fascinated by chickens....except for the smell. I've never raised them myself however.

As a hot mama hen, I have 4 homeschooled "chicks" in my brood already and one due to "hatch" mid-December. Just recently I've been thinking about how cool a math and science unit we can make out of incubating/hatching/and raising a few chickens. Been lurking for a few days and finally decided I need to join BYC to see if the community can help me design a chicken coop for our unfenced sloping small back yard. And various other things..... I was also hoping to see if I could hear from some Lexington locals about their urban chicken adventures.

~Lara

frow.gif
Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
And chickens really don't smell if you care for them properly
smile.png
So look forward to fresh eggs AND fresh air
tongue.png

I know that they can be well maintained so that they don't smell....just about everything can, can't it? But generally speaking from my experience.....they aren't well maintained.... Although we plan to!!! Thanks for the welcome :)

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome aboard, from Clay City in Powell Co.

We started with chickens about this time last year. I really haven't noticed much smell, nothing like a small yard full of dog poo anyway! Plus if you are a gardener and compost you won't believe how chicken litter speeds things up. My pile cooked fast even in the dead of winter last year.

Back
Top Bottom