1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lemongrass, Mar 16, 2011.

1. lemongrass

lemongrass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    Hello. My name is Katelyn and I live on the eastern shore of Maryland, just 5 minutes from Delaware. I have 3 goats, 1 dog, 1 cat, and 11 new chick additions. They came from a flock down the road of Americanas, Sex Links (I believe red and black), and Barred Rocks. I didn't get to see the parents, just took my picks from the woman selling them. Out of 24 eggs 11 hatched and are still happily cheeping around at 2 and a half weeks old. They grow so fast!!

I have 25 Red Stars on order for later this month and I can't wait to get them! My order apparently comes with a free "rare" chicken, but I have no clue what the breed will be. They all come as day old chicks from McMurray Hatcheries. I didn't really want to mail order but I was having trouble finding what I wanted in the area. The chicks from the woman down the road were sort of my "test run". I am having a lot of fun with them and I love them so much! They're all mixed up as far as the breeds go but I think I can figure out what they are.. one of them I believe is a red sex link roo, he's my favorite. Other than him and maybe one other that looks similar to him, I have no clue whats roo or hen. I can tell which ones are americanas, they're very distinct! Although mine have tails and I was pretty sure they weren't supposed to?

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I love reading about chickens. I can't wait until mine are producing eggs. My ultimate goal is to have a small farm going so I can sell eggs, meat, and dairy products (from my goats). Its very exciting to watch my dream becoming a reality!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I think you will like it here. [​IMG]

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio! True Araucanas are rare-the hatcheries sell chicks as Araucana when they lay blue or green eggs.

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania!

5. Fireman Farmer

Fireman Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    EasternShore of Virginia
    Fireman Farmer says [​IMG] I have gotten all my chicks for the last 2 years from McMurrays also they are very good to deal with. I just got 12 of three diffrent breeds from them on Monday and they sent 4 extras. You will find just about everything that you ever wanted to know on here. If you can't find it just ask and somebody will know. Good luck with the new flock.

6. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome!!! From Fredericksburg VA!!!!

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Howdy, neighbor! I am on the Eastern Shore, 30 miles S. of Cambridge (Toddville). South Dorchester Co. [​IMG]

8. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]
    hello from Indiana

and congrats on being a new chicky momma [​IMG]

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Welcome from Boston, VA!

10. lemongrass

lemongrass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    Thanks for all the welcomes!! My fiance has family in both Ohio (near Youngstown) and Indiana (South Bend). I'm in Henderson, MD, which is near Centreville. I've never heard of Toddville, I'm a little new to the area myself. I'm originally from NJ.

Looking at googlemaps, Toddville is almost 2 hours south of me. You're way down there! I work in Annapolis so I had to stay kinda close to the bridge.

Its so nice to meet everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by