New from NC.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sodman238, Feb 25, 2015.

1. sodman238

sodman238 New Egg

Hello out there. 48 yr old farm boy that hasnt had chickens around since my grannie use to raise them when I was a young child. Yea Ive got the bug!!! May get some chicks in a few weeks but right now Im in the design stage of my coop and yes I overthink everything. Great site.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. sodman238

sodman238 New Egg

Yes... Ive been scanning your site for months. Obtained alot of knoledge on coop styles and brooder houses. Very imformative.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built. Do you have a breed preference?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My son says I overthink everything - he's right. But, that's better than not thinking at all. Welcome to Backyard chickens. No rush, chickens are available year round.

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome To BYC! [​IMG]

7. sodman238

sodman238 New Egg

Thanks gang.. Being a single Dad of a seven yr old little lady (hint for the single
    Ladies) was thinking about the following breeds. RIR's, Dominickers, and Americana's. What is a good Show breed? Want to get my daughter into showing?

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi and welcome to BYC!

I've never been involved in the shows (just attended a few is all). I think it's wonderful to get your daughter interested in chickens. She'll learn a lot and it will give her something special to do with dear ol dad.

Have fun!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

If your daughter wants to get into showing chickens, a bantam breed might be a good idea. They are easier for kids to handle and show. Some good breeds for showing include Cochins, Silkies, Wyandottes, Old English Game, Australorps, and Plymouth Rocks. Really, any bird can be shown, but some are just better to show than others.

While Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, and Ameraucanas would make great egg layers and barnyard birds for you, I would probably not suggest them if you are just beginning to show. True, show-quality Dominiques are hard to find (though they are out there), so you may end up with a lesser quality bird that could dissapoint your daughter. Rhode Island Reds are very nice birds. But, you would have to make sure that you bought one from a breeder, not a hatchery. Most hatcheries sell their own version of "Rhode Island Reds". These birds are excellent layers, but have been bred so much for production that they have lost the ideal color and shape of a purebred Rhode Island Red. Be wary with Ameraucanas, too, as if you purchase from a hatchery, you'll likely end up with what are known as "Easter Eggers". Most hatcheries don't sell true blue egg laying, pure colored Ameraucanas; instead, they sell pretty colored egg laying mixed breeds, called Easter Eggers.

I hope this information helps.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Wyandottes7 has given you some good advice for show purposes. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck in your shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by