New From North Dakota

Thanks all who I didn't respond to directly for the warm welcome. This forum has been great so far and I've only been on it for a day!

Quote:
I know I want to start off with some Black Australorps. Is there any other breed you'd recommend for a first timer that would get along well with them? I have a little girl who is 2.5 who will go crazy having chickens around and will be very involved with their care. So yes, I need a gentle breed. I was also think about some Easter Eggers since I know my little girl would LOVE the unique colored eggs. Your thoughts?

welcome-byc.gif

Unfortunately the previous owners really neglected the coop, so I have a lot of work to do to get it ready once winter breaks. I'm up for the challenge as raising chickens for eggs and eventually meat will be better for my family in the long run. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I also think about the stuff hitting the fan and our economy crashing. I want to be able to have skills to survive on my own.

Are you gardening also?

Do you have any pictures of your coop? Mine is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/855006/

AWWW your goats are beautiful. The white one in the third picture is smiling lol.....pretty ponies.....im so jealous!!!! I would love to have goats and bunnies. So glad to meet you. We plan to get bunnies soon, and I will know where to go for advice...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, last year was my first year doing it outside of growing up. (Air Force has had me all over the place, so never had a place to do it). We had tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers. Overall, went well for the first time. We just need to plant more overall. I probably won't get to it this year, but I want to move away from row planting and get into raised gardening as that is more efficient and LESS WEEDS!

Those goats look really nice. If things settle down for me and I have the time, I will have to consider seriously. I have a pen area that could handle some, which could be expanded. I really will have to see how predators react to the chickens. I think they would love to go after goats.

Back
Top Bottom