New from Northern CA

A3M0N

Hatching
Feb 21, 2015
Hi everyone. I'm active duty Air Force stationed in Northern CA, originally from South Carolina.

My wife and I are thinking about building a small coop and keeping around 4 chickens. We want to keep chickens for the self-sufficiency aspect as well as a family togetherness activity, we have a 6 and 8 year old children, and a family dog. We are also going to be starting a garden for the same reasons.

I'm glad this forum is here, I'll be bugging y'all alot in the coming weeks!

My purpose is basically the same......a new interesting family activity and some old-fashioned self sufficiency. I'm a city boy who is an engineer by day and math tutor by evening. My three kids all graduate from college in May and they cannot believe I'm considering this hobby.
I know nuttin......
Joe

Thank you for your time in service, and Welcome to Backyard Chickens. It's always great when the whole family is involved. Do you think 4 chickens will supply you with enough eggs? What breed(s) to you plan on getting?

Young chicks or older pullets? Don't worry about bugging us, that is what we are here for. You may want to visit the Learning Center and then maybe the Raising Backyard Chickens forum.

Hi everyone. I'm active duty Air Force stationed in Northern CA, originally from South Carolina.

My wife and I are thinking about building a small coop and keeping around 4 chickens. We want to keep chickens for the self-sufficiency aspect as well as a family togetherness activity, we have a 6 and 8 year old children, and a family dog. We are also going to be starting a garden for the same reasons.

I'm glad this forum is here, I'll be bugging y'all alot in the coming weeks!
Hi and welcome to BYC!! My son is trying to join the marines and is set to leave in September to Paris island for boot camp. I hope he makes it as he has his heart set on it.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

TexasChickenRoo, I spent some time in Wichita Falls. I went to my first tech school at Sheppard AFB. I'm a city boy too, but the wife and I are planning to retire somewhere just outside of a city. Right now Tennessee is in the lead for our retirement state. But thats still 12 years away.

drumstick diva, from what I've read 4 hens should give us around a dozen a week. Does that sound about right? I was thinking a couple of leghorns, maybe a couple of brown egg layers as well. I'm not really sure yet, I'm still researching and open to suggestions.

hockeydad6791, tell your son good luck from me! I have the utmost respect for anyone joining the Marines.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

from what I've read 4 hens should give us around a dozen a week. Does that sound about right? I was thinking a couple of leghorns, maybe a couple of brown egg layers as well. I'm not really sure yet, I'm still researching and open to suggestions.
You're welcome. If you get White Leghorns or Black or Red Sex Links, you will get about 2 dozen eggs per week from 4 hens. I've had all three of these egg laying machines and they will give you 6 (occasionally 7 eggs per week). I still have Black Sex Links (Black Stars) in my flock and they are my favorite hens. They are more cold hardy than the Leghorns, and friendlier than either the Leghorns (which are high strung and flighty) or the Red Sex Links (which are a little more standoffish than the BSLs), and they have consistently churned out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. My Black Sex Links have been especially persistent layers in cold winter weather.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!

Glad to have you join!

Back
Top Bottom