New from Tacoma, Washington

TacomaChickNMom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hi there! I'm Anna and my 5 year old daughter and I have decided to raise some backyard chickens for eggs. I'm learning alot from these threads and am so happy to have support / encouragement / advice / information from fellow chicken lovers. I have two black Wyandottes, one Barred Rock, two Rhode Islands, and one Cornish Cross (my daughter picked that one out).

:)

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hi Anna,
Where did you get your chickens? We live in UP right now but moving to Eatonville in a couple of months.

HI there! I actually got them at Dell's farm supply in Puyallup!

They all seem pretty healthy, I have one RIR that has hardened poop stuck to her butt and it seems like it hurts to poop. I have been washing chicken butt at least twice daily (never thought I would be doing that!), feeding them scrambled eggs, yogurt mixed with freeze dried meal worms, and putting antibiotic ointment and olive oil around the "vent". Other than that she seems healthy and runs around and eats just fine!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Apply some vaseline or olive oil to that chick's butt after cleaning it. It will help prevent the poop getting stuck again. Also, I found organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their drink water helps prevent this. I use a ratio of 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. If you are feeding treats like mealworms etc sprinkle some chick grit or coarse sand over their food also. It helps them break down and digest the food. Enjoy your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom