1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Tacoma, Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TacomaChickNMom, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Hi there! I'm Anna and my 5 year old daughter and I have decided to raise some backyard chickens for eggs. I'm learning alot from these threads and am so happy to have support / encouragement / advice / information from fellow chicken lovers. I have two black Wyandottes, one Barred Rock, two Rhode Islands, and one Cornish Cross (my daughter picked that one out).

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. rowena

rowena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Hi Anna,
    Where did you get your chickens? We live in UP right now but moving to Eatonville in a couple of months.

4. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Welcome!

5. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    HI there! I actually got them at Dell's farm supply in Puyallup!

They all seem pretty healthy, I have one RIR that has hardened poop stuck to her butt and it seems like it hurts to poop. I have been washing chicken butt at least twice daily (never thought I would be doing that!), feeding them scrambled eggs, yogurt mixed with freeze dried meal worms, and putting antibiotic ointment and olive oil around the "vent". Other than that she seems healthy and runs around and eats just fine!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Anna, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Happy you are enjoying BYC! Best of luck to you and your daughter and last but not least, your chickens!!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Apply some vaseline or olive oil to that chick's butt after cleaning it. It will help prevent the poop getting stuck again. Also, I found organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their drink water helps prevent this. I use a ratio of 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. If you are feeding treats like mealworms etc sprinkle some chick grit or coarse sand over their food also. It helps them break down and digest the food. Enjoy your chicks!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by