New From Texas

Im from Texas too, I would like to address the top on the fence issue...you know we have lots of varments here! (Coyote, fox, skunk, coon, fox, possum, cat, owl, hawk, dog ect.) have a friend who begged me to give him a chicken so I gave him an extra roo I had just raised. Well he put it with 8 new teenage chicks he bought in a fence and the slaughter began...before he wised up 5 of his chickens were a buffet including the beautiful Buff Orpington roo I gave him. BTW the reason he did not take my advise is because he listened to his wife who whinned about letting them free range. I like free range but you have to know that you just have to accept that you will loose some. I believe in a very large fenced are sort of a free range/chicken run. The best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Hi
frow.gif
from another Central Texan
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, welcome to byc. I am a new from West Virginia. As far as I know everything needs shade. Looks to me even their water would get hot in the temps. that have been recorded in Texas without shade. The Rhode Island Red is a great brown egg layer. It lays dark brown eggs with rich looking yolks. The red star and australorp are also supposed to be prolific layers. Or I'm in trouble. Thats what I ordered. They are 7 week. The australorp has set records of 364 eggs in a year! Hopes this helps.

Coop is done with a nice size run attached... I got 5 red production hens that were right at a year old so I could start getting eggs now.. Finished everything yesterday got the hens last night.. Wife got an egg this morning... I will post pics tomorrow morning when I get off shift. Will be adding to it when the time is right for more hens..

Quote:
I have black sex link and Red sex links that are 3 yrs old. they are still laying some and are good layers even in the winter, but I also have 2 brown rosecomb leghorns that are the same age and they are laying about everyother day. Both are hardy breeds, in my opinion. And
welcome-byc.gif
from ohio! THis is a great site with great helpful peeps!

Back
Top Bottom