1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Washington State

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NanaTJ, Oct 23, 2012.

1. NanaTJ

NanaTJ New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    Hi all,

We purchased a house in July this year near Yacolt, WA and inherited five hens and a rooster with the property. I had never had chickens before so have been learning as I go. So far I think I'm doing OK. None seem ill and they're producing 4-8 eggs a day. A couple of the hens will eat out of my hand. The rooster keeps his distance. :)

That said, I'm a little overwhelmed with what all I feel I still need to do to ~properly~ care for these chickens. Their pen needs work, cleaning the coop is a pain, keeping their water clean seems impossible, etc. I'm up for the tasks, just a little overwhelmed. I am hoping to learn a lot more on these forums.

Thanks for your time (and all the valuable information!)

~TJ

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm sure they will love to have you in the Washington thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hi TJ, welcome to BYC from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

5. NanaTJ

NanaTJ New Egg

Oct 18, 2012

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! Regarding keeping water clean, I would invest in a hanging water container, much easier to keep clean. Is the floor of your coop run dirt? I recently put sand down and it seems much easier to keep clean.

7. NanaTJ

NanaTJ New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    The floor is wooden and it's filthy all the time no matter how much I clean it. Sand may be a good idea if it's OK to lay down on the wooden floor?

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :)

You might look into the Deep Bedding method, it works great and is easy to do

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NanaTJ, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I had an aunt years ago that lived near Yacolt - beautiful area...I'm jealous! Best of luck with your hens and chicken chores!

10. NanaTJ

NanaTJ New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you. Yes it's gorgeous out here. I am loving it and feel very fortunate that we found this place. It took several years to find it, and a lot of heartache along the way. (Long story probably for another forum entirely since it involves many housing market woes...) :)

I'm interested in the deep bedding method (no idea what that is of course), and will look for a hanging water container. Thanks so much for the ideas!

~TJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by