New from Washington State

NanaTJ

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Hi all,

We purchased a house in July this year near Yacolt, WA and inherited five hens and a rooster with the property. I had never had chickens before so have been learning as I go. So far I think I'm doing OK. None seem ill and they're producing 4-8 eggs a day. A couple of the hens will eat out of my hand. The rooster keeps his distance. :)

That said, I'm a little overwhelmed with what all I feel I still need to do to ~properly~ care for these chickens. Their pen needs work, cleaning the coop is a pain, keeping their water clean seems impossible, etc. I'm up for the tasks, just a little overwhelmed. I am hoping to learn a lot more on these forums.

Thanks for your time (and all the valuable information!)

~TJ

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
I'm sure they will love to have you in the Washington thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section.

welcome-byc.gif
from California! Regarding keeping water clean, I would invest in a hanging water container, much easier to keep clean. Is the floor of your coop run dirt? I recently put sand down and it seems much easier to keep clean.

The floor is wooden and it's filthy all the time no matter how much I clean it. Sand may be a good idea if it's OK to lay down on the wooden floor?

Greetings from Kansas, NanaTJ, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our flock! I had an aunt years ago that lived near Yacolt - beautiful area...I'm jealous! Best of luck with your hens and chicken chores!

Thank you. Yes it's gorgeous out here. I am loving it and feel very fortunate that we found this place. It took several years to find it, and a lot of heartache along the way. (Long story probably for another forum entirely since it involves many housing market woes...) :)

I'm interested in the deep bedding method (no idea what that is of course), and will look for a hanging water container. Thanks so much for the ideas!

~TJ

Back
Top Bottom