New from Winston Salem, NC

phswrestler125

Hatching
7 Years
How's it going everyone.

Ive beeen on the website for quite some time, conducting research on how to raise backyard chickens. Today, I decided to introduce myself and my flock. I am from Winston Salem, NC and I go to school at Duke University in Durham, NC. I convinced my family back in winston that we should turn our dog run into a chicken run and houes chicken. My little sister (6yrs old) loved the idea and we decided to purchase some hens so that she can enjoy them, and we can get some eggs.

As of now our flock consist of 9 hens. Most are about a month out from laying (atleast that what the seller's told me). I have one that is laying pretty much 6 days out of 7. She is a Rhode Island Red that we named Reddy. I purchased a golden comet (an older one - seller said about 1.5yrs old or so) but she has yet to lay an egg. It has been about three weeks. When I first purchased the hens, it took Reddy only two days and she started laying in her new home. I believe the golden comet is either 1) burned out, or 2) recovering from a molt, becuase she is missing some feather on her neck and new ones are starting to grow in. Out of the 9 hens in my flock, I have 3 that are RIR (one laying, and 2 are about 13weeks old [seller tells me]), 2 barred rocks [seller says about a month out from laying], 1 golden comet (her situation is explained above), 1 deleware (seller says about a month out), and 2 white rocks ( i believe one is actually an Amber-link and the other I believe is an actual white rock).

It seems that at the top of the pecking order is the golden comet( henrietta) she always gets the food first, and pecks other who try to join her, then follows Reddy - the laying RIR. The next trio of birds seemed to be pretty equal (the two barred rocks and the deleware). Then follows the Amber-link and behind her is the white rock. At the bottom are the two young RIR, unfortunately everyone pecks at them and picks on them, they are usually scarred and stay in the coop perched on the roost.

The following are pictures of my hens **** LOTS OF PIC****. Could you guys possibility give any feedback on size (idk if you can tell if they are near laying size or not), bout the plymouth rock/amber link and the molt of the golden comet. Thanks,

Rhode Island Reds (Reddy and the two smaller ones)

smallest RIR (little) In the Backgroud is the medium sized RIR (smalls)

The laying RIR

***BARRED ROCKS***

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Goodness, lots of pics LOL. Lovely chickens you got there. Only thing I can say, really, I don't know much about breeds. Sorry! But don't worry, the more experienced members will be along soon.

Back
Top Bottom