new fuzzybutts - End of Week 1

Sorry about your loss, but you will probably never know why. I've had a few chicks that were fine right before I went to bed but when I woke up it was dead, nothing wrong with it that I could tell. And why is it always the favorite chick that dies, ugh....

Your brooder looks great, plenty of room!

Thanks for the kind words newlyweds.
Although I am trying to stay neutral as far as the meaties go. They are cute when they park it in the feed tray so they can sleep and eat. Some of them are even dust bathing in the chips. My RIR's didn't do that until a few weeks to a month! The instincts in animals is amazing.

Thanks zDoc.

I will say, those NH Reds are mean buggers. They have me concerned about pecking issues later on.

Last edited:
Here is the mystery chick:

40024_p1001119.jpg

40024_p1001116.jpg

Here are some pictures just to compare the sizes. These JCXR's are Godzillas! It is too bad they are so chubby and docile, they probably make nice pets when they are full grown.

40024_p1001127.jpg

40024_p1001126.jpg

40024_p1001124.jpg

40024_p1001123.jpg

40024_p1001122.jpg

Fatties at the trough. Hey blimpo! Oink-Oink! Too many Twinkies! (Flight of the Navigator reference)

40024_p1001121.jpg

Comments welcome. Should I be concerned about the sneezing for right now?

Whitey

I lost 6 in my pack. One I found like that too but they all had their legs out when they passed. I am not sure what it was but I added some ACV to the brooder water (apple Cidar Vinagar) and gave the rest of them some plain yogurt. No more deaths so far. A lot of people have been posting similar afflictions.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom