New Goose House

MrsDolittleDuck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Tennessee
We finally finished making a goose house and pen for Honky and Penelopy. We have changed it so many times. As I learn more and more everyday what makes me geese happy and safe. We bought a kids playhouse on craigslist when we first got Honky. Then we decided to find him a Goose because everyone on this forum said he is probably lonely. So we found him Penelopy. That made us want to give them a bigger house. So we went back to good old craigslist and found another playhouse and after sawing a couple of walls off, we made them this palace. The houses are on 2 pallets and we have plexiglass on top of the pallets then placed the houses. It is easier to clean with the plexiglass. The windows that are open on the houses, we cut plexiglass to fit them to make it warmer for the winter. The other windows have the cutest shutters to close and open.We got some vinyl flooring and laid it down on the porch. It is so easy to clean the poop machines poop, and safer for my wooded porch.
So here are a few pics for you to enjoy!
We also got a new pool for them from craigslist. We paid $20 for it. What a buy.They are just loving it.

First here is Honky and his new girl Penelopy. They just love each other!!!

NEW PALACE FOR MY GOOSE BUDDIES...

THIS IS TWO PLAYHOUSES MADE TO FIT EACH OTHER.

HERE IS THE INSIDE OF HOUSE

HERE IS THEIR PEN. WE HUNG UP 2 TARPS AROUND THE BACK AND SIDE OF PEN. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BLOCK THE WIND AND MAKE IT WARMER FOR THEM.

WE HAVE THEIR PEN ON OUR FRONT PORCH. YES THE FRONT PORCH. WE LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN IN TN. ALL OUR LAND IS ROCK. WE CAN'T FIND FLAT LAND TO MAKE A PEN, SO THEY ENDED UP ON THE PORCH. SO THEY HAVE HALF THE PORCH AND WE HAVE THE OTHER HALF, NOT INCLUDED THE SPACE THE POOL HAS. I GUESS WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT...THE GEESE HAVE ALL THE PORCH...LOL..LOL

MY GEESE POOL...SPA...
WE USED A TARP TO COVER IT TO KEEP THE LEAVES OUT.

THIS IS MY LUCKY, SPOILED GEESE STORY. HOPE YOU ENJOYED AS MUCH AS MY GEESE DO......

We finally finished making a goose house and pen for Honky and Penelopy. We have changed it so many times. As I learn more and more everyday what makes me geese happy and safe. We bought a kids playhouse on craigslist when we first got Honky. Then we decided to find him a Goose because everyone on this forum said he is probably lonely. So we found him Penelopy. That made us want to give them a bigger house. So we went back to good old craigslist and found another playhouse and after sawing a couple of walls off, we made them this palace. The houses are on 2 pallets and we have plexiglass on top of the pallets then placed the houses. It is easier to clean with the plexiglass. The windows that are open on the houses, we cut plexiglass to fit them to make it warmer for the winter. The other windows have the cutest shutters to close and open.We got some vinyl flooring and laid it down on the porch. It is so easy to clean the poop machines poop, and safer for my wooded porch.
So here are a few pics for you to enjoy!
We also got a new pool for them from craigslist. We paid $20 for it. What a buy.They are just loving it.

First here is Honky and his new girl Penelopy. They just love each other!!!

NEW PALACE FOR MY GOOSE BUDDIES...

THIS IS TWO PLAYHOUSES MADE TO FIT EACH OTHER.

HERE IS THE INSIDE OF HOUSE

HERE IS THEIR PEN. WE HUNG UP 2 TARPS AROUND THE BACK AND SIDE OF PEN. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BLOCK THE WIND AND MAKE IT WARMER FOR THEM.

WE HAVE THEIR PEN ON OUR FRONT PORCH. YES THE FRONT PORCH. WE LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN IN TN. ALL OUR LAND IS ROCK. WE CAN'T FIND FLAT LAND TO MAKE A PEN, SO THEY ENDED UP ON THE PORCH. SO THEY HAVE HALF THE PORCH AND WE HAVE THE OTHER HALF, NOT INCLUDED THE SPACE THE POOL HAS. I GUESS WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT...THE GEESE HAVE ALL THE PORCH...LOL..LOL

MY GEESE POOL...SPA...
WE USED A TARP TO COVER IT TO KEEP THE LEAVES OUT.

THIS IS MY LUCKY, SPOILED GEESE STORY. HOPE YOU ENJOYED AS MUCH AS MY GEESE DO......
Very nice and yes 2 very spoiled geese. They are blessed to have you as their caretaker.

The new up grades on the play house is great and you have it well taken care of for the winter.
Looks wonderful for them! Great job momma and papa.....

I love this!
I keep my goose in a shed off of the garage. It has a chicken wire 1/2" floor that is about 18"off of the wooden floor. A ramp folds up and down for her to access the area, which is roof-covered and has wood walls on a 4 sides. Chicken wire is on the outside to cover up some holes and protect her from raccoons. A door with chicken wire on the top half closes her in at night and it has a wood latch. Our winters here are around 40-50 with occasional freezes and snow, even though we are on the coast of Oregon. She has hay on top of the chicken wire that I sprinkle with DE to help control the mites. Will this keep her warm in the winter? This is my first experience with raising a goose. (The Vet said she was a female, but I am wondering how to bring in a friend for her--- should I consider a female or male? The Vet also said she was an older goose.)
Thanks!

Hi Kalsti. If the vet´s correct, you could get another older goose for company, or an older gander. A young gander would probably give her a hard time, and if she´s actually a he, another male could be a bumpy ride too. So, a goose is probably a better choice.

Ok thanks Livininbrazil~ I hope to find an older goose. How do I know how old a goose is?

Honky and Penelopy have a wonderful pen, I love their pool.
Kalsti
I keep my goose in a shed off of the garage. It has a chicken wire 1/2" floor that is about 18"off of the wooden floor. A ramp folds up and down for her to access the area, which is roof-covered and has wood walls on a 4 sides. Chicken wire is on the outside to cover up some holes and protect her from raccoons. A door with chicken wire on the top half closes her in at night and it has a wood latch. Our winters here are around 40-50 with occasional freezes and snow, even though we are on the coast of Oregon. She has hay on top of the chicken wire that I sprinkle with DE to help control the mites. Will this keep her warm in the winter? This is my first experience with raising a goose. (The Vet said she was a female, but I am wondering how to bring in a friend for her--- should I consider a female or male? The Vet also said she was an older goose.)
-Whether you want a male or female friend depends on if you want goslings or not. If you don't, get her a female friend. The age probably isn't a problem, depending on what type she is, they live a long time if properly taken care of. I would be careful about using poultry wire to protect against coons. I'm in Michigan and our coons get BIG and are capable of destroying chicken wire to get at poultry. A good thing to remember is that chicken wire is to hold chickens in, not predators out. It sounds like her pen will be warm enough as long as it doesn't get soggy.

Look What I Made.......

It is a Food Holder.
I needed to get my Goose Food Off the Ground. They kept tripping over it, and wasting it.
So I came up with this 20 minute idea.
Used a box. Traced the two bowls I am using. One for Oyster Shells and One for their Crumbles. Box is 1' tall. I reinforced the opening with wide tape. Just to give it more strength. You can make any size you need.
We will see if this works. I know it will probably get wet, but we will deal with that at that time. The next one I make, I am cutting up a tote. That will be great if it does get wet and it will also be sturdy.
This was a free 20 minute project. That was FUN!!!

Back
Top Bottom