New goose. Now what? (I have no idea what I am doing)

flood

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Oklahoma
You know those family members who think that just because you have land you need pets? We have one lol. We were given a little gift of a full grown Chinese goose today...probably a gander. Well...now what?

He's in a 4ft by 4ft pen. I will give him some of the feed we give the chickens and ducks and a pan of water of course. Does he need to stay in this cage a few days so he knows he belongs here? Since he doesn't have a mate...will he hurt my ducks?

Oh and do they learn quickly? He was able to get his head through the wire but couldn't get it back out. We are so glad we were still standing there when it happened or he for sure would have died. Now I am afraid to leave the area. Think he'll do it again? We have a barn we could put him in but that depends on the answer to the following.

And lastly, I know he can't protect himself from coyotes but what about coons and possums? Will he need to be housed in bullet proof caging like all my other birds or can he live in a fenced yard or the not-so-secure-ducks-have-died-in-it barn?

Thank you so much!

I'm a little overwhelmed by such a gift. We clearly were not ready for such a thing. He's been here about an hour lol. He's really pretty and nice. We like him already.

Lorie

Geese can be killed by all the pedators you mentioned. So you need to put it up like everything else to protect it from the predators..
Afence with no top not good it will get killed... GOOD LUCK.

Wow. what pretty fluffy geese you have!

oh, and thank you! I'll keep him in the garage for now.

and he is in that cage. I wish I could let him out but I bet I have to baby proof everything.

About the fencing, if he's done it once he'll probably do it again, I'd wrap the fence in something else plastic poultry fencing or regular poultry wire something he can't stick his head through. and he maybe able to roam eventually but he needs time to realize where his home is, so I'd keep him up for a few weeks and spend time with him so he looks to you as his care giver. And he is going to be lonely with out a goose friend so maybe you could think of getting him one. Gees are flock animals and need companionship of their own kind. At night he needs to learn to go into what ever safe place you plan on having him as his home, feed him only there so he gets use to it. That way it will be easier to train him to go in at night for his safety. Good luck and Congrats on the unexpected gift, Geese are awesome.

About the fencing, if he's done it once he'll probably do it again, I'd wrap the fence in something else plastic poultry fencing or regular poultry wire something he can't stick his head through. and he maybe able to roam eventually but he needs time to realize where his home is, so I'd keep him up for a few weeks and spend time with him so he looks to you as his care giver. And he is going to be lonely with out a goose friend so maybe you could think of getting him one. Gees are flock animals and need companionship of their own kind. At night he needs to learn to go into what ever safe place you plan on having him as his home, feed him only there so he gets use to it. That way it will be easier to train him to go in at night for his safety. Good luck and Congrats on the unexpected gift, Geese are awesome.

Not a great pic but, here he is. Is he African or Chinese?

He hasn't stuck his head through again but I will wrap it. If you think he will....it was scary enough that I will fix it then. I let him out yesterday morning since I wasn't sure on him staying in a 4x4 all day long. He has taken up with the ducks and being their school master. They didn't care for this yesterday but when he would call they would come from the far back of the property. He is kinda neat. I started looking for a lady friend but I haven't found one yet.

I did feed him once we walked him back to his cage. I will keep that up. I'm thinking that by the time I get the barn secured he will know he lives in the garage.
idunno.gif

Not a great pic but, here he is. Is he African or Chinese?

He hasn't stuck his head through again but I will wrap it. If you think he will....it was scary enough that I will fix it then. I let him out yesterday morning since I wasn't sure on him staying in a 4x4 all day long. He has taken up with the ducks and being their school master. They didn't care for this yesterday but when he would call they would come from the far back of the property. He is kinda neat. I started looking for a lady friend but I haven't found one yet.

I did feed him once we walked him back to his cage. I will keep that up. I'm thinking that by the time I get the barn secured he will know he lives in the garage.
idunno.gif
looks African to me, and young too, and I bet your in love geese are just so cool. glad he is bonding with your ducks but will still be happier to have one of his own. I have had my gander for close to 6yrs now he was hatched here by a Muscovy duck and was happy to live with them, I tried for many years to find him a mate of his breed[Embden] but for some reason not many goose folks in these parts, so last Aug a friend was offered 2 Toulouse geese and I jumped on it, it took a while for my gander to bond with her [I think he really thought he was a giant duck] but they have now and are a very happy couple so even if you can find the same breed it won't matter as long as it has a friend,. I hope you enjoy your new friend.

Back
Top Bottom