New Guinea Owner

Aug 10, 2020
We just moved onto our 40 acre dream mini ranch a month ago. We inherited 26 guinea fowl as well! As of yesterday morning, we now have 14 keets. This was a huge surprise, as the previous owners said that in their 6 years had only had 1 hatching of 3 keets. To say we are thrilled is an understatement!
My issue is that these are free-range birds. They have a wonderful coop that most go into at night. We close the door once it's dark and assume most are inside. But inevitably there are 2 or more on the driveway yelling at us in the morning.
I would love to have these new little ones safe in the coop at night. We've put up ramps going inside and outside of the coop. We're hoping that mom will lead them inside soon. I know it gets down in the high 50's at night. I'm in the Black Hill of South Dakota.
Any advise on leading them in? I did manage to pick one up today...but these are wild guineas. I would love to handle these new babies so they are more tame.

That would be ideal for sure. We're trying to get them into the coop. But since this flock was never tamed...it's going to be interesting! On the plus side, there are 4-5 adult birds with them constantly. It's a group effort amd they are doing great

We just moved onto our 40 acre dream mini ranch a month ago. We inherited 26 guinea fowl as well! As of yesterday morning, we now have 14 keets. This was a huge surprise, as the previous owners said that in their 6 years had only had 1 hatching of 3 keets. To say we are thrilled is an understatement!
My issue is that these are free-range birds. They have a wonderful coop that most go into at night. We close the door once it's dark and assume most are inside. But inevitably there are 2 or more on the driveway yelling at us in the morning.
I would love to have these new little ones safe in the coop at night. We've put up ramps going inside and outside of the coop. We're hoping that mom will lead them inside soon. I know it gets down in the high 50's at night. I'm in the Black Hill of South Dakota.
Any advise on leading them in? I did manage to pick one up today...but these are wild guineas. I would love to handle these new babies so they are more tame.
Welcome to guineas and to BYCs! :welcome I’ve gotten our broody raised keets used to me by tossing mealworms nearby. The keets run towards me when they see me now. I don’t know what your parents will do. They might lead the keets back to the coop or may keep them outside. Life outside is pretty tough - there are lots of predators out there. Aside from removing the keets and brooding inside, which might also be difficult, encouraging the parents with treats to stay close to the coop might be your best bet. Good luck!🍀

Welcome to guineas and to BYCs! :welcome I’ve gotten our broody raised keets used to me by tossing mealworms nearby. The keets run towards me when they see me now. I don’t know what your parents will do. They might lead the keets back to the coop or may keep them outside. Life outside is pretty tough - there are lots of predators out there. Aside from removing the keets and brooding inside, which might also be difficult, encouraging the parents with treats to stay close to the coop might be your best bet. Good luck!🍀
I love the meal worm idea! I did try coaxing the adults today with tjeir usual favorite grain treats. But they just turned and ushered those littles away as fast as they could...lol. They have been bringing them close to our house and also close to the coop. We are keeping the ramp up, so hopefully they may try to go inside. Thanks again for the advise!

Back
Top Bottom