New Guinea

Thanks for the reply Pioneer Princess. I hate to have the new (5) guineas isolated for such a long time as winter is nearing and I'd like to give them a little time to graze. I have them isolated now in a small cage but when I moved them into the big aframe with the other guinea, I plan to let them all out - i open the pen at 6 am and they go back in just before nightfall.

My original (6) have met the new five (like you say, through wire).

I've introduced new chickens (at night) before, but only did that one at a time. Just wasn't sure if introducing five might be overkill. My guinea are nearly split 50/50 male to female. Six female and five male. Thank goodness (male guinea) don't seem to be as territorial as male chickens.

Just wanted to update anyone interested....Last night, I introduced the new flock of five guinea fowl to the existing flock of six that I've had for about 6 months now. When I checked them at the crack of dawn this morning, they all seemed to be getting along like good old buddies. So that little experiment worked out fine.

Next, instead of waiting 2-4 weeks to let them out and range, I'm going to only have them quarantined for 48 hours. The reason I'm doing this is because it could start snowing very soon and I want to give them some time to learn our yard and catch a few bugs to eat.

I should clarify my wording better as far as quarantine goes. I usually quarantine for about two weeks with any new poultry. With guineas, I try to keep them locked up in their new quarters for another two to four weeks just so that they will know that this is home. I've heard stories of people letting out new guineas and they vanish because, as far as they know, their home is where they were previously located. Anyway, I'm glad everything's working out well with your flock! : )

Back
Top Bottom