new guy from georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by childerstodd, Sep 28, 2009.

1. childerstodd

childerstodd New Egg

Sep 28, 2009
    Hello, I am new to this site and to chickens. My first question is do I have to have room for chickens to run free or can they stay in a coop all the time. I don't live in a place where I can let them go.
    Thanks, Todd:):

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana. You don't have to let them freerange, But there are alot of coop designs out there, where they have a house and small run area, that doesn't take up to much room. How big depends on how many you have.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Hi and welcome to BYC!!!!! Like the above poster said, just depends on how many you want as to how large the coop and pen should be. A few large ones would do well in an A frame portable coop/pen that you can move around the yard. Look in the coops/pens threads and it can give you some ideas

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
  5. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    [​IMG] Welcome from AZ!! [​IMG]

6. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    [​IMG]

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

8. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    [​IMG] from Northern California

9. childerstodd

childerstodd New Egg

Sep 28, 2009
    Thank you for the responses. I want enough chickens for eggs for a family of four and a couple for meat. Does the cost of feeding the outweigh the cost of just buying eggs and meat at the store?

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:The cost of feed for egg layers is cheap when compared to the cost of the higher quality egegs (like free-range or organic). But only if you don't factor in the cost of setting up the coop and run [​IMG]

Not sure on the meaties.

There's a hard to price variable, though; You'll KNOW your chickens are well-cared for and happy. That's a hidden benefit that's hard to equate with costs. But it means a lot for my family's peace of mind.

Also, are you sure you can do the deed when it comes time to harvest the meaties? Not just the intestinal fortitude, but would the neighbors or family pitch a fit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by