New guy from Montana

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! The breeds I currently have are: Red Star, Black Star, Golden Sexlink, Partridge Rock, Rhode Island, and a Leghorn. BYC is such a great community, I really feel welcome!

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! The breeds I currently have are: Red Star, Black Star, Golden Sexlink, Partridge Rock, Rhode Island, and a Leghorn. BYC is such a great community, I really feel welcome!

You're welcome. You have some really great layers. I've raised Black Stars (Black Sex Links) for years, and they along with my Red Sex Links have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Red Star and Golden Sex Link are two of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing red gene roosters with silver gene hens. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. Likewise, Black Star is one of several labels under which some hatcheries market their Black Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen. Like the Red Sex Links, the Black Sex Links can be sexed by color at hatching and are also egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those sex links. Good luck with your flock. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom