New guy here, just de-lurking and introducing myself.

Sinister

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Greetings! I've been reading the forum for a while gathering advice and I figured I would finally join up.

I am new to ducks, and am heading into my first winter with them here in NY. I got started in the ducks because I have a very wet yard. When it rains, it takes weeks for it to dry up. I figured that I must have alot of clay in the ground, and decided to dig a small pond to give the water a place to go. I dug a small 10X4 (or so)pond, 18 -24 inches deep, and decided that some ducks might enjoy it. I had thought about getting chickens before, but the pond, along with tasting my first duck eggs from a friend, made me go duck.

I have 7 total, 2 pekin, 1 a is drake. 4 khaki campbells, 1 is a drake, and 1 black swedish girl. We got them all newly hatched in the past spring, the 2 pekin we got in April, and liked them so much we got the rest in May. We free range them and put them in a pen at night. The pekin drake is very much into the ladies, but the khaki hasn't made any moves yet.

We all enjoy them a lot, and my neighbors have even brought their handicapped daughter over to watch them play. They never fail to bring a smile to everyones face. Unfortunately they haven't given us any eggs yet, so we are crossing our fingers and checking every day. I read pretty much everything here on when they should be laying and how to encourage it, so now it is just up to them I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, whether you knew you were or not!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! I have 2 pekins too, a drake and a duck, and I should be getting a trio of Welsh Harlequins soon! I also have a whole slew of chickens too, but my ducks crack me up.

Back
Top Bottom