New Guy Here

frow.gif
Hi and welcome to BYC!

Thanks to you all for the welcome! I think I'm accurate in my feeling that you all are dedicated chicken lovers.
I'm in Metairie right outside of New Orleans. I have had chickens before about 8 or 9 years ago but, I had to get rid of them for a couple of reasons so, I gave them to the father of a friend of mine. It worked out well as he was a tomato farmer and had lots of room for them to live.
Well, earlier this spring I started thinking about getting chickens again. I actually thought I'd just like to get 3, no more than 4. I did some research and originally decided I only wanted large, brown egg layers and came up with a list of ten breeds I'd like. Some on the list are white eggers but, they were toward the bottom of the list. I wanted to buy them locally and I knew I'd have to settle for what was available so, I set out to find the chicks I wanted. Tractor Supply sold chicks but, the minimum was 6 and I didn't want that many so my search continued. I remembered that a local feed store sold poultry chicks so I called to check to see what they had and they had what I was looking for. The next day I went to check them out and found they had 6 of the 10 on my list. Guess what. I ended up getting one of each and two more. I couldn't decide on just the 3 or 4 I wanted so I got eight supposed pullets.
They are about 4 months old now and seem to be pretty happy but, this past week a suspicion was confirmed. I have a rooster! My White Leghorn has started or at least trying to crow at around 5:00 am. Lol..... I don't really think the neighbors mind too much YET, but, when he crows a neighbor around the corner has a dog that starts barking when he hears him. At first I seriously thought about relocating him by this weekend but, I may wait to see if anyone complains. I don't want to become the nuisance neighbor with chickens but, I kind of think it's sort of almost calming like. Sort of like bringing some of the good slower country life to the city. We'll see how that works out. Lol......

Below is the list of the chickens I have of which like I said the Leghorn is a rooster.

One of each:

White Leghorn
Rhode Island Red
Production Red
White Plymouth Rock
Barred Rock
Americauna
Black Sex Link
Buff Orpington

Back
Top Bottom