New guy in central Florida, trying to see if I have 7 or 8 pullets.

THEFERMANATOR

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2022
Zephyrhills, Fl
New here, haven't had chickens in many years, but my kids decided to do 4-H, so we picked up 5 Barred Rock pullets, what is supposed to be a BR cockerel, and when I was there they had 1 GLW that caught my eye as well as a SLW. My question is, is he actually a cockerel, or a pullet? It's roughly 9 weeks old and is the only 1 to have a comb(the pullets are 2 weeks older), but the more I look at it, the less I'm convinced it's a cockerel.

IMG_20221213_170155688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221213_170345628_HDR.jpg

I thought it was a cockerel, but I wasn't sure after reading about them being sex linked, and his coloration being so similar to the pullets. He definately has the attitude of a rooster already as he comes out in front of the pullets whenever I open the door. He will be staying as he has already become my buddy in the 3 weeks I've had him, and I live in the county on close to 9 acres so no city ordinances to deal with.

I currently have them in a coop from Rural King that is roughly 4'x8' that I mounted on a 2"x6" skid frame with eye hooks that I can move around to keep them on fresh ground. I'm going to build a 4'x16' run to add on to it as I don't think 32 sq ft is enough room for 8 birds. I would free range them, but between the bald eagles, coyotes, and all the other predators, they wouldn't stand a chance in the open.

Now that I've got started with chickens again, I'm giving serious consideration to converting my 25'x25' hog pen over to raise some cornish crosses in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom