new guy on the block

I keep my bobs in an aviary style setting, with a litter floor, so of course I am going to push "big spaces"! LOL. My ceiling is 6 feet tall and rarely do they get up that high. 4 to 5 feet seems to be the desired flight height. Bobs are large hyper birds. They need as much room as you can build them. Instead of "how much room do they require", but look at it as, "how much can I give them". They say about 4 square feet per Bob. I like to offer about 10 sq feet per Bob. They need room to move. I have never had any trouble with keeping them on the ground, as long as that ground stays DRY. Moisture grows bacteria, fungus and parasites. So it is best to keep it roofed.

DIRT...Slightly wet dirt to dust bathe in is a Bob's dream come true!! LOL I bring it in by the bucket full.

The only time my Bobs are caged is during breeding season, spring thru fall. They will fight like cats and dogs and somebody is going to get hurt and or killed. So keep that in mind. My group will only tolerate one male to one female to a cage, although some folks claim they can keep them in trios. Once breeding season is over, they reform bonds and friendships and come together for the fall/winter covey.

You can only free range Bobs one time, and you will never see them again. So keep them penned up. If loose, they will not come back if called, or for a tray of goodies like a chicken.

My chickens are within 10 feet of my Bobs and nothing has "floated" over the fences. However, if you do have a walk in facility for your Bobs, you will need to ALWAYS change your shoes so you are not dragging in chicken poop into the quail area. THIS IS A BIG NO NO. I keep chicken shoes and quail shoes. The two never mix. Always wash your hands between your chickens and quail.

thanks that was very helpful.

Quote: hahaha yes ninja skills are helpful. There's been a few times when I've been showing people how to handle birds at the Farmer's Market or even in lab the other day when one gets loose and tries to fly away and I just reach out and snatch it out of thin air before anyone even realizes what's going on. People look at me kinda funny after that lol

probably creep them out -- hahaha - id think it was awesome -- got my chicken coop AND my quail coops both almost complete -- just need some zipping up with wire on the seams -- and to put the doors on... pretty pleased with both of them... ill put pictures up when theyre complete.

Back
Top Bottom