New guy saying hello

ASD Dad

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate, SC
Hey all - figured I would copy and paste the little questionnaire.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? YES! Brand new, middle son (8) has been wanting them for a long time and we finally got some chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? - SIX

(3) What breeds do you have? - 2 Blue Cochins, 4 Laced Wyandottes

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? - Google!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? - camping - normally 4 times a year or so.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. - 3 boys, 10 and under. 2 large dogs (English Bulldog mix and mutt, both rescues). Just built "dream home" on 2 acres in country. Over 1 acre is fenced in with wire goat fence. Live in Upstate, South Carolina. I work from home as a Defense Contractor, wife is 1st grade teacher.

Brand new to chickens. Boys are all in 4H but that is for sheep and goats. We help out at a local sheep and goat dairy farm and just got done fostering 6 lambs. That was fun! My boy has wanted chickens forever and we finally bought some a week ago. They are a little older and supposedly sexed (5 hens, 1 Cochin Rooster). I think they are around 3 weeks old now, they look to be fully feathered on their heads. We love eggs so wanted to try raising some chickens.

Working on a coop and run design now. Since we live in SC I am guessing heat will be a big issue but we also get into the 20's during the winter. I am thinking of building where there is morning sun but afternoon shade behind our detached 3 car garage/my workshop. I can make the run there as well very easily. Biggest worry is neighbors Husky mix is crazy energetic and outdoors 100% of the time (they have 10 acres fenced in). He loves to chase and play with our dogs up and down the fence line but he also loved to try and get after our lambs! I am not sure if he would bother our chickens. We also have hawks and coyotes to worry about along with plenty of mice.

Want to make coop much bigger than for 6 as I have a feeling we'll end up with more if kids like it!

Welcome!!!! Not to create any worry but huskys are typically a pretty big threat to chickens- right up there with GSDs. Are you planning on free ranging your chickens or having them in a run? Either way you will find tons of great info on here! :celebrate

We'll be separated from the husky by a tight woven wire fence that is approx 48" tall. I thought about putting up a visual barrier as well so he cant see the chickens all the time. He is friendly to us, just super high energy and I am pretty sure wanted to eat our lambs!

Most likely not free ranging. We have about 1.5 acres in a fence but there are a LOT of hawks and eagles around. Plenty of vultures too. Plan was to use the back of the garage to make a run that would be approx 40 feet wide by 30 feet deep that would be fenced in with 4ft tall wire. Over top I had planned on putting up hawk netting from the back of our garage down to the fence lean-to style. Not sure what to do about the sides just yet... I'm fairly handy with wood and started welding a year ago (MIG, flux and some TIG) for fun so I feel like something nice can be built but I need to settle on a design and keep the birds safe.

Back
Top Bottom