New Guy wondering what kind or coop to get or build.

jimdandy

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I am interested in getting or building a chicken coop for the side yard of my office building. The area is 90'x17' with fig trees, peach trees and vegetation.
I would like to have enough eggs for my home and office.
We are a family of four and and office staff of 7 (we have a kitchen and cook regularly).

Im wondering how many chickens will lay how many eggs?
What type of coop would be recommended etc.

We are a construction company so building a coop would not be a problem if I had proper drawings but I was wondering if buying one would be cheaper.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

10705_floorplan.jpg

10705_0side.jpg

Welcome to BYC found this on the Coops tab up top. Its what I used to build my coop. There are several to choose from.

How many eggs you'll get depends on the kind of chickens you have. When I was a beginner I picked up the book Keeping Chickens by Ashley English, and there is some good info on there about different breeds and their individual temperments, heat/cold toleration level, etc, as well as basic care instructions. If you're into modern style coops, something with some artistic flare, I would recommend checking out the book Reinventing the Chicken Coop by Kevin Mcelroy. It has 15 really rad coop ideas with blueprints. Have fun!

I've gotten the "brown egg layers" from Murray McMurray hatchery twice. I have been very pleased with the egg production of these birds. The most recent order had a lot of barred rocks and red stars. Right now I have 12 hens and am getting 8 eggs a day. It is winter, so when the weather warms up I expect 11 to 12 eggs a day. These brown egg layers do need about 3 square feet per bird n space. If you overcrowd birds, pecking at each other will happen. Good luck in your plans!

I started with 12 Buff Orpingtons, which layed about 8 eggs a day, then added 4 Barred Rocks my egg count grew to around 10 to 12 a day. Last April I added 13 Rhode Island Reds, which brought my daily egg totals to anywhere from 16 eggs to 21 eggs a day. I'm hoping for more during the summer months.

Back
Top Bottom