New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jdkessel, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jdkessel

jdkessel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Hello all,

Recently got back into chickens. Part of my childhood I was able to experience the joys of living on a farm. The wife and I decided to get chickens for egg and meat production as well as a little entertainment and companionship.

We live in Minnesota. We have a variety of hens. Mostly Australorps, but we also have a New Hampshire ( lost her sister) a White Rock and a Lavender Orpington (lost her sister to illness and her brother to a predator). We recently picked up straight run of 8 mixed brown egg layers which are now 2 wks old.

2. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Welcome back to chickens! You might enjoy chatting with other members from Minnesota...you can find them by typing your state name in the search box and your state thread should come up.

It's nice to have you here!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry for your losses. Are you allowed to trap or shoot predators? Maybe an electrified fence would persuade them to go elsewhere.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you join us. I'm glad you are enjoying your chicken-keeping renaissance and i hope that you enjoy being a member of BYC.

all the best
    CT

5. jdkessel

jdkessel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    We only lost one to a predator. My son didn't check to make sure all the chickens were in the coop when he shut it up one night and he wasn't there in the morning. I assume it was one of the owls that nests near by because there were only a few feathers only the ground and no blood. The other 2 were both illness.

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

Glad you decided to join.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by