New Guy

javaking

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Hello, I'm not really new here but I finally decided to get chickens. I haven't logged in for several years because I've been waiting to get some land before we got chickens. However, an opportunity came up and we jumped on it and now we live in the burbs with some chicks.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Sorta, I cared for chickens about 17 years ago when I was a ranch hand, but now I have my own. I'm new in the sense that I really have no idea what I'm doing.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We just got four of them yesterday.

(3) What breeds do you have? They were leftovers of a lot from our home school co-op. I know one of them is either Araucana or Americana, the other three I have no idea.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They leave me breakfast every morning, well, soon they are about a week old right now.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Video games, gardening, programming, raising kids.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have four kids (yes one chicken for each kid :) The only other animal we have is a cat. If it were up to me though I'd be raising some pigs, goats, sheep, and maybe some cows. I am a computer programmer by trade and I've always been fascinated with being self sustainable by growing your own food.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I've known about BYC for a long time. I started researching raising chickens in suburban areas and came across this site. I did register for an account because I liked y'all so much but I realized I wouldn't get chickens for a while so I quickly dropped off.

I am live streaming my chicks but my camera is terrible so I'm hesitant to post the link. I was thinking about live streaming my coop 24x7. Does anybody else do that?

5CD3034C-DEC6-466D-9277-737AC8E394F1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom