New Half-hoop Coop Build

Glad I finally saw this. I like it. We have to build a new coop for my brother in law and I think I'll try to talk him in to this.
Is that rebar staked in the ground to keep the panels from pushing the frame out? What did you use to fasten the HC wire to the panels?

Glad I finally saw this. I like it. We have to build a new coop for my brother in law and I think I'll try to talk him in to this.
Is that rebar staked in the ground to keep the panels from pushing the frame out? What did you use to fasten the HC wire to the panels?
The rebar is to hold frame in place. We used rebar bar ties and the handy little tool that lets you quickly twist the ends together. We actually used these bar ties to hold most of the layers together...very handy and fast! Good luck. We didn't have much reclaimed wood so it cost $$$, but my and I are in heaven.

It's been 4 days in the new coop and things are settling down a bit. I did decide to begin the deep litter method of keeping the coop cleaner. It took 5 bags of the fine pine shaving from TSC to get it covered and I know that I should have more, but thought that I would wait until next week. (I would love some advice on this) My plan is to turn it over several times per week, especially under the roosts. 2 of my grandchildren came by and gave some of my GC's a big hug. It is so nice to finally have chickens that like to be picked up. I find myself wandering down to the coop to just sit and talk/pen now that there is a real coop. My older ladies have begun using their new nesting boxes and I got 6 eggs from 14 of them. Today I am going to leave them in the coop until 2 hours before sunset, as some of you have suggested. I think that I might have more eggs at the end of the day. At least 2 of my 17 week old GC's are laying, too. Loving life in my new half-hoop coop!
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.30.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.31.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.31.59 AM.png

I did decide to begin the deep litter method of keeping the coop cleaner. It took 5 bags of the fine pine shaving from TSC to get it covered and I know that I should have more, but thought that I would wait until next week. (I would love some advice on this)
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Back
Top Bottom