New Hampshire Hen Not Moving

Chicken Dave

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Tyngsborough, MA
I have a 9 month old NH hen and this morning when I went to open up the coop everyone went out except her. I went into the coop and picked her up and she didnt flap her wings or move her feet. Then to tesdt her I put her on a perch and she started to wobble and she couldn't keep her balance. She has been eatong and drinking fine and there are no physical marks on her to show she was attacked. Does anyone know whats wrong with her and what I should do?

I am not sure what is wrong with your hen. But, when I see a hen like that I consider it a big emergency and take her to a vet ASAP. She might have an infection. The vet will only know for sure. Try to isolate her from the other hens until then. Keep her in a warm, dry, quiet place.

I know a vet sound drastic and expensive. It really isn't. The last two times I took my hens to the vet it only cost around $60, including meds.

Good Luck
DB

P.S. You might be able to have the office wave some of the exam fee to lower the cost even more.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm pulling down some of the questions from the guidelines but a really big question....

Have you introduced any new birds to your flocks?

Is she alone in the coop? Does another of the poultry pick on her?

If she's laying eggs, could she be possibly eggbound?

Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Answers to questions:

1. No
2. No she is not alone she is very friendly with the others
3. Yes she was in a nesting box yesterday
4. No injuries
5. Last night she was fine and this morning she wasn't moving
6. Layer Pellets and water
7. Haven't seen it
8. I gave her her own food and water
9. Want to help her myself

Back
Top Bottom