1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire Lucy's First Egg...Nice One, too! bantyman, check it out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Oct 3, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My two NH pullets, Penny and Lucy, are from Ideal. Lucy has this huge floppy comb, so I was expecting her egg any day now. I have 18 young pullets and 2 of them have been laying for a couple of weeks, both Barred Rocks (Hawkeye's daughters). Lucy is #3 of the 18 to start up. Look at what a nice egg! The color reminds me of a Delaware egg a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Yay, Speckled Hen! I love my NH Reds - I only have two - Fred and George (Weasley, of course). They lay like gangbusters and are so lovely to look at.

That is one nice egg.

3. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Very nice Cynthia. How do you get such good chicken pics? My pics always turn out rotten.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Coinkydink - I got one about the same size and color this morning from my EE. I love those big huge eggs. CONGRATS!

5. speckledhen

Hey, Michele, I delete about half of all the pics I take, so a crackerjack photographer, I'm not. [​IMG]

6. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Well, I can take tons of pics and still only get a so-so pic.[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Some days, I cant get a good shot for anything. I cant wait till Lucy's sister Penny lays her first egg. I want to see if it's just as impressive.

8. talkinboutmygirls

talkinboutmygirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    I got my first egg from SOMEbody Thursday - not sure yet who. But really small and oh-so-cute!

How do you put pics on here?

9. speckledhen

You have to have your pics on an online photo hosting site first, like www.photobucket.com. Then you can upload them from there.
    I have lots of little pullet eggs from my younger girls, but Lucy's really amazed me. She didn't lay today, so I expect she will tomorrow.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All of my first eggs are so tiny. What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps I need to let them free range more or give them more greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by