New Hampshire Red OR New Hampshire Heritage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: That was the date of her article (1909) in the Pacific Fancier where a few years later, she was asked to give a history of the Buckeyes-- sorry for the confusion. You can see in your SOP, it will have the admission of the Buckeye as 1904 but technically, it was 1905 and they made it in the 1905 SOP

I am not arguing about the Sussex with you-- I agree with you -- I was just trying to show Chloe where a name can tell a lot -- "Red Sussex" conveys everything and the breed (Sussex) and the variety -- I have never seen any R. Sussex in person but am alway interested in other black-tailed red breeds like the Buckeye, the Nankin, etc.

It would seem to me, IMHO (and it is a humble one), that since non-SQ RIRs are referred to by many as "Production Reds" to distinguish them from the SQ [heritage ] RIRs, and common folk also call any non-SQ barred or cuckoo chicken as a "Dominecker" or some such, that it would only be logical to distinguish non SQ- N.H.s with some common name and what better (as apparently some hatcheries have done, than call them (and distinguish them) by "N.H. Reds."
I see what your saying but remember the Production Red Chick is not a Breed it is "hybrid cross".

If one has a New Hampshire that came from a hatchery what they have is either a [any below term will apply] --
Hatchery Quality New Hampshire,
Production New Hampshire,
Industrial New Hampshire

Chris

That was the date of her article (1909) in the Pacific Fancier where a few years later, she was asked to give a history of the Buckeyes-- sorry for the confusion. You can see in your SOP, it will have the admission of the Buckeye as 1904 but technically, it was 1905 and they made it in the 1905 SOP

I am not arguing about the Sussex with you-- I agree with you -- I was just trying to show Chloe where a name can tell a lot -- "Red Sussex" conveys everything and the breed (Sussex) and the variety -- I have never seen any R. Sussex in person but am alway interested in other black-tailed red breeds like the Buckeye, the Nankin, etc.
I understand that your not arguing. All's good.

Chris

Mine came from a local ranch that sells breeds that do particularly well in our high desert environment. It is my understanding that they are breeders ( I could be completely wrong). Would mine be considered "production" birds? I won't be all up in arms either way, I am geniunely curious. What would I look for that sets them apart? ( my photos are the first set on this thread). Thank you!

WOW! Kinda sorry I came upon this thread! We are now fostering 2 new hens that are not quite like our RIRs, so I did a search of NHR. I am not a youngin', nor am I a chicken aficionado. Most of my knowledge comes from experiences growing up, common sense and the abundance of poultry magazines and books at Tractor Supply, this forum along with information from the hatchery where we got our original batch of birds - Murray McMurray. Now, I know I miss the bus on a lot of things, but I'm reading my newest copy of Hobby Farm's Chickens - and though I am not claiming this to be the most accurate source, it is the most readily available type of source for us "hobbyists."
Volume One (revised edition) page 28 "Breed Bonanza!" lists New Hampshire Red as a singular breed.
And, just to be clear and possibly irk the poultry professionals, I call our chickens boys and girls - quite a lot actually!
Chloe - feel free to pm me and we can talk about the new chickens that we got today that I think are New Hampshire Reds.
D.gif

Cheers and tootles to all!

WOW! Kinda sorry I came upon this thread! We are now fostering 2 new hens that are not quite like our RIRs, so I did a search of NHR. I am not a youngin', nor am I a chicken aficionado. Most of my knowledge comes from experiences growing up, common sense and the abundance of poultry magazines and books at Tractor Supply, this forum along with information from the hatchery where we got our original batch of birds - Murray McMurray. Now, I know I miss the bus on a lot of things, but I'm reading my newest copy of Hobby Farm's Chickens - and though I am not claiming this to be the most accurate source, it is the most readily available type of source for us "hobbyists."
Volume One (revised edition) page 28 "Breed Bonanza!" lists New Hampshire Red as a singular breed.
And, just to be clear and possibly irk the poultry professionals, I call our chickens boys and girls - quite a lot actually!
Chloe - feel free to pm me and we can talk about the new chickens that we got today that I think are New Hampshire Reds.
D.gif

Cheers and tootles to all!
Thanks, Kelly! That's what I was trying to explain to these people. It's very confusing.

I actually got my birds from a sale barn. I know they aren't show birds, but still, I think they're mighty pretty... And I'm almost sure they're New Hampshire's.

almost sure they're New Hampshire's. 

Thank you for using correct terminology, though looking at pictures, yours are not true bred New Hampshire's, but hatchery crosses that came out with one similarity to the real breed... orange red color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom