New Hampshire Reds?

Well, New Hampshire ( no red in the name ) - To me, most if not almost all out there are your typical orangey brown production layer, roosters temperament is unpredictable, hens can be great pets. I had a couple girls, loved them, but they were admittedly a little bland in appearance compared to the rest of my flock
hide.gif
Still, they were super sweet though and dependable layers.

Now, the rare heritage/show lines like seen lately in the auctions, haven't personally had them, but, they're what New Hampshires were made to be. Great dual purpose birds with large carcass, great production, and beautiful body and temperament. A nice large bird with a beautiful body that brings their color out a little more, and from what I've seen, their bodies would make for some great self sufficient eating! The production lines wouldn't compare when it comes to food.

The "Breeds" here on BYC also have it incorrectly labeled with "Red" (sic) in the name.

The breed is truly rare and a bit hard to locate. You'd probably not get a true NH from a generic hatchery. Great bird. Hope to get some one day.

I have seen some listed at our local feed store, but I dont think that they are pure NH's.... Havent got them to see though, I grew up with RIRs and red chicks, so I try to stay away from them now:) but I would love some Pure NHs to add to the stock later on for my kids

I ordered them from murray mcmurry, they were listed as NH Reds. Anyway, the name matters not to me.......any opinions on the breed like egg laying or temperment? I had RIR and got rid of them finally bc they are so persnickty and was hoping these guys would be better.......so far they seem more docile at 7 months old.

Like said earlier, my hatchery girls were very consistent layers. Temperament in females was very nice too. In hatchery stock they're very common and very popular, so with that comes high egg production and good female temperament.

Mine were from McMurray. But honestly most brown/orange/red colored production layers don't differ as much between hatcheries as less common breeds.

It's fairly difficult to get a heritage breed (like a New Hampshire) to lay more than 180-200 eggs a year. Hybrids will lay a lot more and so will hatchery Rhode Island Reds, which some say were crossed with brown leghorns way back.

With that in mind, my New Hampshires do just fine as layers. They were one of my better laying breeds the year that I could tell their eggs from everyone else's. I add a couple NHs each year and will have two that are three years old this spring.

Temperment-wise, I have no complaints. They are calm and get along well with the other chickens. They vary on their interest in foraging far and wide, but most hang out with the flock and the rooster.

I've got some from the Newcomer line that Cackle Hatchery carries. Estes Hatchery may also carry the Newcomer line. I heard the Newcomer line used to win egg laying contests.

Most of mine are late molters, which supposedly means that they are better layers. A couple have started molting in August, which is early or average.

The roosters really like the New Hampshire hens and some end up with too much feather loss on their backs, maybe one a summer needs an apron.

Back
Top Bottom