New Hampshire!!

SNOW DAY!
Hope everyone had a great New Year's. Looking forward to spring. What special plans do you have for this year?

I am planning to rip up the flower beds in the front of the house and that border our walkway. I want to replant most of the Hydrangeas elsewhere from the front of the home. I also want to rehome my Daylilies and Hostas that border everything to maybe line more of my extremely long driveway. I'm thinking of putting down gravel and using flower pots in front (prepping for a farmer's porch at some point) and then just clean up the beds that line the cobble stone walkway as they are horribly overgrown and the perennials need some dividing. It'll be a ton of work but I've not paid attention to the garden much this past year and it needs it.

I have the chickens still separated into male and female coops so far. I'm waiting for some of the girls to size up a bit before I let the boys at them. I have 18 correct for cream Cream Legbar females that I hope to keep breeding forward. I currently have 7 correct for cream boys set aside for nest spring. I have 4 gold Cream Legbars for layers and maybe making EE's. I have a trio of white sport Legbars I am hoping will produce some nice chicks for me. :fl   My other layers are 2 Jubilee pullets and 3 Barnevelders (1 blue and 2 black). The Jubes and Barnies are just eye candy at this point as I sold off the males last fall.  The Legbars I've had since 2011 and are my babies and what I concentrate on most and really am excited about.  I also have Marans - still too young to lay but I have 2 splash boys, 1 BCM boy (from Wynette's eggs) and 5 BCM girls. Looking forward to seeing what they lay when they start and hoping for some nice dark eggs. I would love to do a pen of Splash and of Black Coppers but need to think about pen space.

I'd like to try some ducks this year - Muscovies are number one on the list but I think Runner ducks are toooooo cute so I'm thinking those also. AND I'm trying to talk the hubby into a few geese and turkeys. I went to Hannaford and saw they had geese in the meat department for $55-$60 each! The hubbies worried they'll be mean but I'm hoping to convince him otherwise. We are starting to look at the pond we have and what to do with it. From my kitchen sliding door you get a wonderful view of the backyard that we cleared all the way back to the pond so I think it'll just be perfect to have some water fowl back there also. If he does not like them they can always go to freezer camp.

Lastly.... Last fall I downsized my 6 vegetable plots to just 3 - 6 x 6 foot sections and widened the paths between them so hubby could maneuver the mower between so I'm hoping that will help me manage them better and make them more cost-efficient.

Sorry I haven't had the tablet long. The quietest good natured geese are Sebastopol. They are known as eye candy cuz they only lay a few months and it's in feb to April. If you want more info just pm me.

Great plans! I sure do hope you go with some waterfowl this year as well. We hatched out 6 khakis this past May and are enjoying them very much. In the Fall we were given 6 more ducks (mixed) and 3 Buff geese. They love to be outside even on these cold winter days. An owl decided to go after them one night and the male goose went after it. We saw it fly off after we went outside to inspect what all the noise was about. So if you're going to get ducks, get some geese too, they are good protectors. And American buff geese aren't mean at all. I go out into their pen all the time and they don't bother me or hiss at me. The male does hiss at my kids but doesn't attack.

Sorry I haven't had the tablet long. The quietest good natured geese are Sebastopol. They are known as eye candy cuz they only lay a few months and it's in feb to April. If you want more info just pm me.

Great plans! I sure do hope you go with some waterfowl this year as well. We hatched out 6 khakis this past May and are enjoying them very much. In the Fall we were given 6 more ducks (mixed) and 3 Buff geese. They love to be outside even on these cold winter days. An owl decided to go after them one night and the male goose went after it. We saw it fly off after we went outside to inspect what all the noise was about. So if you're going to get ducks, get some geese too, they are good protectors. And American buff geese aren't mean at all. I go out into their pen all the time and they don't bother me or hiss at me. The male does hiss at my kids but doesn't attack.

I love the look of Sebastopol geese, but I don't know if I could kill and eat one at this point... I want something that I can put on the table also. I love the look of Canada Geese and if it were legal to own I'd do them...LOL.
I think if I can talk the hubby into it I'll do the ducks and maybe a couple geese and see how it goes. What kind of housing do they need? Should I locate it down by the pond or closer to where my other coops are and have them go back and forth? Thanks for the heads up. Now to do some real research on both.

I love the look of Sebastopol geese, but I don't know if I could kill and eat one at this point... I want something that I can put on the table also. I love the look of Canada Geese and if it were legal to own I'd do them...LOL.
I think if I can talk the hubby into it I'll do the ducks and maybe a couple geese and see how it goes. What kind of housing do they need? Should I locate it down by the pond or closer to where my other coops are and have them go back and forth? Thanks for the heads up. Now to do some real research on both.

I think that you can buy Canadian geese. But the one place I saw them awhile ago had them priced fairly high. The Sebastopol are expensive too. I think they are primarily pets and some people sell the fertile eggs and goslings. I think that I'm going to do that with my American Buff this year (sell goslings).
I have mine in a duck coop which is pretty close to being the same as a chicken coop. My duck coop is rectangular shape with it being about double in length than width with a door on each end. Mine are away from the chicken coops and closer to the wetlands on our property since we hope to allow them to use the little stream that runs through there. But I wanted to keep them in a pen until they knew to return home and then winter came so they haven't free-ranged all at. I just hope they don't meander towards my one neighbor because they complained about my 2 turkeys going on their property and leaving 2 poops.

Oh, I just found where I saw Canadian geese: http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseWelcome.cfm?CustID=2183567
This is the link to their gosling site.I've heard about this hatchery and they specialize in geese and ducks.

It's not that you cannot buy them but in the state of New Hampshire it is illegal to own them without a permit from Fish and Game according to Cindy at the state office. I got the 2014 price list from Phyllis Urch and am so tempted.

Ah, it looks like it's a federal law. I just found the permit application. I wonder if there are other birds that this is required for. I'm not getting any Candian geese myself, alot hang out at the golf course across the way. :)

Will be looking for some chicks or hatching eggs soon,
Speckled Sussex, Cream Legbars. If anyone on this tread raises either of these breeds get
in touch with us if you will have eggs or chicks this springs.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom