New Hampshires or something else? Do we have a rooster?

christenkae

Hatching
May 7, 2021
Michigan
Hey guys! These are my first chickens I've ever had - we got them from Tractor Supply and they are supposed to all be New Hampshire "pullets", and they are now about 6-7 weeks old. One of them we are pretty sure is about 1 week older than the other 3. However we noticed that her feathers have a slightly lighter brown color, and her feathers had come in fully about 2 weeks ago and the others haven't quite caught up yet (they still have some fluff around their necks). So we are starting to wonder if she is a completely different breed or just growing faster than the others. You can see her on the left in the first 2 pictures compared to another one. What do you think, New Hampshire or not?

Also, one of them started growing a red comb and some wattle about a week ago. It's pretty early but I'm getting impatient, could this be a rooster (last 2 pictures)? We're not allowed to have roosters in our town so I'm gonna be really sad if we have to get rid of this one :(

tempImageQm3eQg.png
tempImage4OdrHj.png
tempImageW78hqU.png
tempImageNTqFrZ.png

The light red coloring, thick legs, and the stance of the cockerel are making me think they are some kind of red broiler. They look almost exactly like the red broilers I raised. The only other breed they could be with that light coloring is a NHR, but those don't have black hackles. They are too light to a RIR, even a hatchery quality one.

Thanks for your input everyone! Can someone explain to me what exactly a "not good quality" chicken of a certain breed means? I am not too pressed about my chicks not being NHR's, as we're having so much fun having them as pets regardless of breed, it's just nice to know what they are. This is pretty much what we expected with Tractor Supply, oh well! Now to find a new home for this cockerel - is it best to re-home this guy as soon as possible or when he's a bit older?

Can someone explain to me what exactly a "not good quality" chicken of a certain breed means?
Many chicken breeds have a breed standard in the American Poultry Asscociation's Standard of Perfection (SOP). Birds that meet this standard are show quality, and these show quality birds are your champions and award winners. These are the best of the best.

Birds that are close to the standard can be considered breeding quality, meaning they aren't show champions, but can still be used in a good breeding program.

Then there is hatchery/production quality. These birds are mass produced, and bred for egg production or sale. These birds are often nowhere near the SOP for their breed, making them poor quality. They are great backyard pets and egg producers, but shouldn't be used in a show quality breeding program and they definitely won't win anything at a show.

Hatchery quality birds are often the wrong color shade, or have the wrong comb type or leg color for their breed. Most of them still resemble their breed though, and aren't missing a bunch of important features.

Back
Top Bottom